[Help] How to configure network shares with user/pass

gui_m

Hi! I have a simple network set up with a linksys WRT54G. I have some shares on one of my PCs and I have disabled simple Filesharing. My brother's laptop from his company was specially configured so that everytime he tries to access my PC using "\\PCNAME" he gets a windows popping up prompting for a user name and password.

Furthermore, he can log-in as a user that was created on my computer (i.e. he doesn't have to create a user with the same name/pass on his PC to access mine) I was wondering how they configured that. Any ideas? Thanks a lot. Any help is appreciated.

Just disable simple sharing. The simple sharing allow access to a share with Guest user so no login/pass are required.

But what I want to know is how to configure other machines so that they always ask for user/pass

ok let me see if i got this right.in your network even on other machines the user/password are diffrent they are not prompt for password?

and from that laptop it asks for user/pass?

right?how you configured the share permissions?

ok let me see if i got this right.in your network even on other machines the user/password are diffrent they are not prompt for password?

and from that laptop it asks for user/pass?

right?how you configured the share permissions?

Yes, the laptop was somehow configured so that it ALWAYS asks for user/password when it attempts to access another machine on the network. I want to do the same for the other machines but I don't know how.