Vista installation stuck in a reboot loop

colinexl

Hello, I'm trying to install Vista beta 2 on to my laptop, here are the specs:

Asus W3J

Intel core duo T2400

ati x1600

100 gigs

1 gig ram

I try to boot from the installation DVD, it just gets stuck in a reboot loop. I then tried to install from WinXP, it copied the files, extracted them and rebooted. After POST, black screen and reboot loop. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I seem to be having the same problem. My install gets through the whole setup phase, and just when it completes to finally boot windows, it endlessly reboots. I tried loading Safe Mode, but that crashed out too.

I tried the option to load the "last known good configuration", and then it booted into Vista, BUT the screen never finishes loading. I see the tag on the right side saying this is Beta 2 of Vista, but it never gets past the black screen. Any ideas?

Desktop-

K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce 3 Ultra (1.b bios)

Athlon 3500+ stock

2x512MB Corsair ValueRam

160 GB Maxtor IDE drive

eVGA 6600GT

And yes, I did do the Windows memory test, and it passed like a champ.

have you guys looked for drivers for vista?

if you dont have drivers this would be pointless, however

this is not your current problem, have you tried a ide hard drive(first post)?

second post id recomend looking around for simaler setups and see how well they have gone, remeber this is still a beta os!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I'm trying to install Vista beta 2 on to my laptop, here are the specs:

Asus W3J

Intel core duo T2400

ati x1600

100 gigs

1 gig ram

I try to boot from the installation DVD, it just gets stuck in a reboot loop. I then tried to install from WinXP, it copied the files, extracted them and rebooted. After POST, black screen and reboot loop. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

Thanks for any help!

I also have a W3J, so same exact specs. I have the EXACT same problem. I called Asus, and they basically say its a beta OS and have done NO testing. The tech sent me the 207 BIOS version(since it wasn't on the website at that time) and still same issue. I haven't made any headway on the problem, however it is comforting to know I'm not the only W3J owner with the same problem.

If I find anything, I'll post again.

have you guys looked for drivers for vista?

if you dont have drivers this would be pointless, however

this is not your current problem, have you tried a ide hard drive(first post)?

second post id recomend looking around for simaler setups and see how well they have gone, remeber this is still a beta os!

The HD in the W3J is unfortunatly not SATA, it is IDE, as is the optical drive. I did try another optical drive, with no change in behaviour. I feel there is a bug in the boot loader code, as trying an upgrade works all the way to the point where it goes to boot from the Vista bits for the first time. My company also has a WDS(aka RIS) server and attempting to boot from this results in the same senario. Network card gets configured via DHCP, I press F12 to boot from network, and bam, straight back to the BIOS POST screen.

I have a bug open with MS on this. Again, I'll reply to this thread if I get anymore info.

• 1 month later...