nLite RC8 makes bad ISOs

Falcon4

Had a problem today booting an nLite-created CD in a Pentium 3 system... it would spin up the CD then ignore it and try the other boot devices, finally crashing on "DISK BOOT FAILURE". Tried countless things - recreating the ISO and reburning, deleting "boot.bin" and "boot.catalog" from the root and recreating, tried burning on straight CD-R instead of RW, nothing helped.

What finally did work was using Nero to create the CD using the old-fashioned method of using the BIN as the boot image and setting Loaded Sectors to 4, with "no emulation". Also used ISO+Joliet filesystem, NO relaxed specifications (except omitting the ;1 version thing). Then it booted and ran fine from a CD-RW.

Of particular note was an odd thing I noticed while browsing the CD - boot.bin and boot.catalog are exposed files! Those are never visible on a standard Windows CD... why are they here?

Never had this problem with this system before... must be a problem with the latest RC.

There have been more problems I've seen as the RCs go on - nLite is MUCH slower than it used to be, strange problems are popping up everywhere, and the biggest gripe of all: Windows File Protection is 100% broken when you nLiten your CD! Not good, man, not good at all... :(

Anyway, at least I got Windows installed after burning about 5 CDs before tracking it down to not a hardware failure, but a data failure... :P

There is always the possibility of just having bad burns.

It is hard to say without a fact that the iso is bad, especially if it eventually burned and booted correctly. The iso doesn't magically change.

No, no, read in the third paragraph: the boot.bin file is exposed, meaning it's not properly seated in the ISO filesystem (most likely) as a boot-image.

And I forgot to mention: I tested it in my desktop (this PC) and it worked fine. Apparently some BIOSes aren't equipped to compensate for awkward layouts like is being done with recent ISOs...

I also burned it on a straight CD-R (after 4 successful, verified, and nonworking CD-RW burns), and got the same result, if just a little quicker due to CD-spinup time... :P

Edited by Falcon4

Here's what I've got:

-allow-multidot -no-iso-translate -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

This is a default, clean install, too - installed RC8 from scratch on a newly formatted PC. Means no settings were left over from an old install, if applicable. Just fyi.

Strange that it seems to ignore the "-hide boot.bin" switch... maybe it's not written properly?

Maybe Nuhi should try cdimage... 'cuz I'm sure all the ISOs it's spitting out have the same problem as well. :P

The only long path Nero complained about before burning (the working CD) was some \asms path that was extremely long... I didn't add any files of my own. I did, however, integrate VIA chipset drivers, nVidia drivers 77.72, and an SMC wireless USB adapter driver... don't think those would cause this kind of problem though. The ISO was about 192mb.

Just the fact that it booted perfectly on my desktop but not on the P3 system tells me that there's something that most people won't find (as most people use nLite on newer computers, naturally), and may have been overlooked. :P

You have different compatibility levels for isos and the less compatibles allow the longest paths.

Could you create the iso with mkisofs manually ?

Open a command prompt, then run mkisofs with parameters used by nLite (don't forget to add the source path :P ). Does it throw any warning ?

CDImage can't be used with nLite because it would need an authorization to reditribute it.

I:\lol>"c:\Program Files\nLite\makeiso.exe" -o c:\WinLite.iso -allow-multidot -n
o-iso-translate -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long
-duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog .
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Warning: creating filesystem with (nonstandard) Joliet extensions
but without (standard) Rock Ridge extensions.
It is highly recommended to add Rock Ridge
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
5.08% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:45 2006
10.17% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:45 2006
15.25% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:38 2006
20.32% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:40 2006
25.40% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:37 2006
30.48% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:35 2006
35.57% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:34 2006
40.64% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:35 2006
45.73% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:32 2006
50.81% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:31 2006
55.88% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:31 2006
60.97% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:30 2006
66.04% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:30 2006
71.13% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:29 2006
76.20% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:29 2006
81.28% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:29 2006
86.36% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:29 2006
91.45% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:28 2006
96.53% done, estimate finish Thu Jun 08 13:42:28 2006
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 321910
Path table size(bytes): 1306
98429 extents written (192 MB)

I:\lol>

And in the ISO, boot.bin and boot.catalog are still unhidden...

Falcon4, could you try without -duplicates-once ?

I once had this bug and this solved the problem at least on one computer but not on another.

Did you try with CDImage ?

And if you can't get the CD to be boot on this computer, you can try with

1- boot disks (floppies)

2- a multi-boot CD with only one OS to boot.

Or just try it with Nero, which as I said, worked beautifully using No Emulating, loading the BIN as the boot image, and setting Loaded Sectors to 4. :P

Meaning Nero's doing something that Makeiso's not.

I'll try removing --duplicates-once... one e-sec. :P

Oh, hell, I already deleted the source... nevermind then. You could try it yourself - the ISO maker is leaving boot.* unhidden, it's as simple as that. Isn't it doing that for everyone? I can't comprehend how it could only be doing it for me... I understand that only my system refuses to boot with this broken structure, but the common thread should be that "boot.bin" file sticking out like a sore thumb in the directory listing of the ISO...

Freeware is freeware. Someone spent their time to make a product and share it with you. I'm not saying an effort shouldn't be made to fix it. However, don't feel like the world is entitled to take care of you for free.

The boot.bin is quite visible which isn't right, however the discs are booting just fine for me, and plenty of people. And I'm not sure the bug lies with nLite, but rather whatever software they use to make the iso file. So I'm not sure the nLite team can fix said bug.

The Makeiso program (mkisofs renamed?) is a well-known and stable program... I tend to lean in the direction of that nLite is passing the wrong options (or the wrong order/syntax?) to mkisofs, and resulting in a bad ISO.

Yes, most people's computers will boot those CDs, but for the major selling point of nLite (making older computers run XP smoothly), it's a hell of a hit for compatibility. Should be a very simple fix - I'm surprised Nuhi hasn't popped his head in here yet to check it out =P

[sarcasm]

And I'm a donor, damnit, I demand some respekt around here!

[/sarcasm]