What FREE Antivirus

I know you mentioned AntiVIR (Free AV) and that you didn't like it for the ads.

The only ad I see is when it updates (new in version 7 auto updating :thumbup ).

Infact I kinda like the ad screen since it lets me know that it updated while I'm away.

As far as protection, I've seen it catch things that Norton did not!

I've also scanned an HD with AntiVir, then Norton. Norton picked up what AntiVir didn't. (So as much as Norton can corrupt, when it's not, it works great.) Note: I did say that parenthetically though :) .

The other thing I like about AntiVir is no registration!!! No giving them your email to get a download link; no sign in required.

As far as that ad goes, if you're running a personal firewall and tell it to block (I forget the exact exe name) the ad grabber, it will whine once about how a firewall is blocking it, then there's a check box to say don't bug me anymore! So you can get rid of the only ad I've seen.

Edited by JoeMSFN

• 2 weeks later...

I use AVG Free, it also checks my email in/out, and now they must have decided to let it update at a set time. If I remember, in the past, only the paid version allowed this.

Also, the only adware/spyware program I use, besides Windows Defender is Ewido. And now GRISOFT has purchased Ewido anti-spyware and issued a NEW VERSION 4 with a completely changed GUI. It's great. Full product turns into a free scanner after a trial run. You can use it for free then, but you may have to get updates yourself.

I liked it from a long time ago, as it was the only program to dig stuff out of System Restore.

If you like to pay for the full programs, you can now get 1. antivirus 2. anti-spyware and 3. a firewall all at the same place. GRISOFT has got the trifecta.

I like AntiVir too and didn't notice any add...

except when it's updating and even not everytime. I just close the window.

The only downside is that you can't prevent it to launch at start up even with a start up manager!

I posted a thread on the AntiVir forum about that and they posted a workaround if you realy want to stop AntiVir from startup.

I use both AntiVir and ClamWin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WebMadman

the guy I use Symantec Anti-Virus Software Corporate (Gave me my sister from Toronto)

and Symantec client firewall...

The SAV software is free to all students enrolled in degree-granting programs, faculty and staff at UofT. You can install the SAV software on any computer you own. (University of Toronto)

go to: http://www.antivirus.utoronto.ca/

:w00t:

Edited by WebMadman

AVG and antivir are both great, antivir is my choice. And by the way realtime scanning is for newbie who get infected by doing stupid stuff on internet (like usinge IE)

In that case you don't need a virusscanner at all anymore. Online scanning with Kaspersky or Trendmicro (both very good tested) will do. These will also take care of trojans and spyware, better than antivir and a lot better dan AVG.

Besides, isn't it very easy to remove the word "realtime" from the quote above? Does it really change the possible meaning and effects and are you willing to risk that?

I'll stick with a realtime-scanner (AVG).

@noguru

Yes but online scanning is less rapid. and dont have shell integration. I love to right clik a dubious downloaded file and manually scan it.

Edited by albator