[Help] DNS IE issue? Help please

adzza

Hey all, welcome!

Here is the problem. User places a shortcut on their desktop. Say www.google.com. When they double click they get "page cannot be displayed". I noticed when looking at the status bar in IE, its actually looking for google's IP address of 69.149.X.X (whatever it is), befiore displaying "page cannot be displayed".

Wierd thing is once this "page cannot be displayed" is up, the user can hit refresh and bam, google comes up!

Now, I do an ns lookup on that IP address, and no luck at all, but an ns lookup on www.google.com returns fine. This to me states it is a DNS or reverse DNS issue, but I dont know to much about DNS so I am looking for some advice on where to go from here. Cheers. Thanks in advance.

Edited by adzza

If it works the second time, it's actually likely NOT a DNS issue. It's likely IE either had, at one point, a dial-up connection configured, is configured to autodial in the registry, or has proxy information that is invalid.

I would check to make sure that HKCU and HKLM \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\EnableAutodial is not =1.

This is a DNS issue of sorts (dnscache). You can try to repair your network connection which flushes all the data & could solve your problem. It could also be intermittent connectivity issue. Check with your isp.