[Question] Any difference between a XP Pro SP2 CD & XP SP1 CD?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I was curious, is there any difference at all between a CD that has XP Pro SP2 on it vs XP Pro SP1 & XP Pro (no service pack at all), once they have all been updated using the windows update website?

My question is about the desktop of the PC using the software, is there any difference between the final updated product (after using windowsupdate.com)?

Is a XP SP2 with all the updates more streamlined then going from XP to XP SP1 to XP SP2 + all updates?

THanks,

Rich

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

Is a XP SP2 with all the updates more streamlined then going from XP to XP SP1 to XP SP2 + all updates?
Quick answer to this is yes.

Service packs are cumulative, so starting at XP RTM then applying SP1 then applying SP2 is identical to starting with XP SP2.

When it comes to Windows updates, XP SP1 + all the hotfixes delivered by Automatic/Windows Update will not be as complete as applying SP2.

Some hotfixes are not security-related and so applying them puts you into the QFE branch of the OS instead of staying on the GDR branch, these you have to request from Microsoft to address a specific issue, some of which are documented in KB articles.

Service packs contain every updated binary since the previous checkpoint, not just security ones, and keep you on (or return you to) the GDR branch.

So, if I take a XP Pro cd & the first thing I do is apply SP2, is that any different than a SP2 CD install from a functionality & security standpoint?

I think I am not being clear.

Meaning, is there a difference (aside from the uninstall feature) between a PC with Win XP Pro SP1 & then installing SP2 vs a PC with Win XP Pro SP2 installed?

If both PC's have all the latest hotfixes too.

In the end - it shouldn't be any different, but that's not always the case.

If you've got a XP SP1 or XP Gold CD, I would highly recommend slipstreaming Service Pack 2 onto it. It not only saves time, but also usually saves any possible headaches that come from the upgrade process.

Meaning, is there a difference (aside from the uninstall feature) between a PC with Win XP Pro SP1 & then installing SP2 vs a PC with Win XP Pro SP2 installed?

If both PC's have all the latest hotfixes too.

In WinXP Pro SP2 MS Java VM is absent

The MSJVM is not included with Windows XP SP1a, Windows XP SP2, Windows Serverâ„¢ 2003, or any future Microsoft software.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/