Help connecting with german AOL

Hello,

I am from Vancouver Canada, but I am working/living in Germany until the end of the year. My roommates have AOL DSL. As many people probably know, the software is bloat and I don't want to use. I did some searching around the internet to try and find a solution to get around this. It terms out that there exsists a method that allows you to connect to their service without using their bundled software.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6985

I followed the steps but still get an error at the end. It says that my username/password is wrong the domain. I was curious if anyone here is using German AOL and if they got it to work and what did they do.

Thanks

]Bonkers[

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Well I have a solution to my problem:

Follow the directions on the link in my first post at DSLReports, except change the username to: username@de.aol.com

Some other little things that I have come across that may help people are: all characters in your username should be lowercase, max 8 character password, and your mtu should be 1400.

]Bonkers[

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I am not sure if this "rule" can be applied to other countries. My guess, is yes... but only trial and error will let us know for sure. I came upon the solution by fluke. I tried all sorts of different domains, and one time it connected. I hated AOL (mostly because of their software), but now they aren't that bad anymore!

]Bonkers[