Screen goes blank, all windos closes

ranjit jacob

Hi All

I got Presario desktop with 200GB HDD (SATA), Athlon 64bit processor and 512mb of RAM. The problem is i am able to boot to the desktop and am able to work on my computer. At times when i get into D Drive to access some pics, the monitor screen goes blank for some 10-15sec and when it comes back i find all the windows which were open to be closed and i just keep looking at the desktop. This happens at times and not always...Can anyone tell me why is this happening, is it because the RAM is faulty or is it something to do with the HDD. I have done a Non Destructiver recovery on my computer as well, but it dosen't help as well. I just have the norton anivirus running on my comp and i don't want to disable it also..please help.....

PS: i got SP 2 installed on my pc

Edited by ranjit jacob

Try to test your ram with memtest or memtest+. If your ram is ok, try to do a chkdsk D: from a dos box. If it report errors, you'd need to do a chkdsk /F to fix the errors. You can also try to test the surface of the disk with the tool from your disk manufacturer.

Install userdump from the microsoft site, create a rule to dump on all errors in explorer.exe, and the next time it happens you should have some .dmp files to review. Since this is likely a shell extension issue, you may want to run shellexview and disable all non-Microsoft explorer shell extensions, as well as running msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup items and reboot. Once you've done that, see if the issue still occurs - if it does not, start re-enabling services and startup items, testing each time to see if the problem occurs. If you've re-enabled startup items and services and the issue is still not happening, you can start re-enabling shell extensions to see which one causes the crash.

Or, you can just use userdump to dump explorer.exe on crash and debug to find out exactly what is happening, without all of the trial and error :).