Question on Adding Drivers

mystek

I am currently using Nlite to add my drivers and would rather use HFSLIP. I have read the forums and found two references to the folder to include them in, HFDRV and HFEXPERT\DRIVER (I think the last one is right, it was from a post of Oleg's) and while I understand, I think, how to add the WinXP regular for lack of a better word, the TEXTMODE Promise RAID controller is driving me nuts. I have attached the files and would really like someone to look at them and point me to a link or guideance on how to include these as normal drivers. Similar to the ones that Microsoft uses in Windows 2003 for their PERC Raid controllers if possible. Right now I am lost. And yes, I tried following what Oleg_II posted and failed badly. Very new to this. Any help or suggestions would be great. TIA

ATA.rar

hi!

my apologies if i would add to this (of course this was after i already came across the topic in http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63302&st=15) ...

i was also looking forward to an update about the possibilities: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=74341 but i guess it didn't push through (or is it still in the works :))

you see, i've encountered an intermittent issue with updating my ATI vid driver after XP completely installs ... btw, i use the latest from ATI's site ... well, what happens is that when i apply the driver update ... & apparently after it installs --- the screen resolution goes down to a low 2-bit (not even 16 :() ... 2-bit?!!! ha! ha! really weird ... but i don't think i'm mistaken here ...

i tried to re-create the issue & yes it still reoccured ... i tried installing from the accompanying cd installer (that came w/ the card) ... then updating it w/ the latest driver release ... same result as when outright using the updated driver rightafter OS install ... of course, restarting the machine after every attempt ... even tried uninstalling the driver altogether to just use the one from XP driver database ...

i'm saying it's intermittent since out of frustration in 1 of my attempts i just shut down the system ... slept on it & upon booting to it the next day, all fine & dandy! :) it's just weird?

what could be wrong here? this has never happened to me before in any of the builds i created ... could this be a driver glitch? i wonder ...

(1) anyways, would it be possible to integrate the driver (which of course would not limit/stop me from updating using newer releases) ... i've encountered 1 system that i repaired at 1 time which had the video driver integrated (i think it was nVidia) that didn't allow me to update it :(?

(2) which specific (or only) files do i have to include in HFSLIP?

(3) would it be possible to slipstream too both ATI & nVidia drivers ... w/ the OS only making use which 1 is detected in the system?

my apologies if some questions here sound stupid ... :)

any guidance or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Sata Drivers are one of the biggest pains when it comes to SLIPSTREAMING and skipping the F6 option. The nvidia ones more so than most --- as they either aren't digitally signed or Microsoft doesn't consider them digitally signed. The only route that I was successful thus far in getting them installed at all was to use NLite to strip out all IDE drivers and slip the drivers as per Nlite or HfSlip or manually thru $OEM$.

This way the only harddrive drivers windows even has access to are the Nvidia ones, and it HAS to use em ;)

While specific to NVRaid, this may help re: other sata drivers:

Edited by Crash&Burn

Reading the references posted, I think I get the idea. Do the drivers need to be compressed with makecab like Oleg_II suggested or will HFSLIP take care of that if I put them in the HFDRV folder or if I compress them will HFSLIP have a problem? On the Promise RAID controller, can I add the entries to TXTSETUP.SIF and add the drivers to HFDRV before I run HFSLIP or do I need to add them after?