XP on 128mb CF?

mb2

Clint; you have 2K3 *working* on a 128MB stick? thats excellent news if so. i may move to 2K3 when vista becomes the dominant OS (assuming everything will require 'Vista / 2K3' due to the same codebase, as is now with XP/2K). any chance of a link to the XS thread?

i'm still in the single-core world and will be for a while, and less than 3GB if thats the memory thing ur refering to. thats not to say i wouldn't mind using 2K3E, although i haven't used it before and if XP is 30MB less is probably worth using for now, and as i said, even 2000 would be fine.

Actually nn-step over at XS is the man to look for and he has a couple of things there running, a dedicated Bench OS and a dedicated Boinc/Dimes OS.

If you look under Operativ Systems/Windows you will find a couple of threads there.

I have dropped a thing called 2003 Appliance Edition in the past that is based on 2003 Web and that lands on 160MB installed, it was made with Game Hosting and FTP Server in mind...so it still has Terminal Services and Remote Desktop functional. The rest is pretty much cleaned out, also some dialogs and dead ends cleaned up.

It turned out to be a really good performer.

It has been released as an torrent I believe by some group, look and find ;)

If you are happy with win2000 I also have something that is kinda awesome, it's a "decent" functional 2000 installation that lands on 99MB! That in itself is pretty good, but the fact that I have ripped out DX8 and replaced it with DX9C directly on source is kinda rare ;)

It's still is in progress though, the other projects has taken over and it turned out that win2000 gives somewhat lesser performance in benches compared to XP/2003.

Edited by Clint

I forgot to mention that this is a normally installed OS, no postripping, no regediting (all preedited in hives)...and the ISO is 45MB..so it fits on a businesscard-cd :whistle:

Just plug the disc in and 4min later you have a working OS, User rights, add remove program, network, DHCP...ALL is working. ;)

And I edited the front (desktop, explorer icons) to XP style, so it looks really nice too...

..and it pulls 18MB idle.

Edited by Clint

I forgot to mention that this is a normally installed OS, no postripping, no regediting (all preedited in hives)...and the ISO is 45MB..so it fits on a businesscard-cd

Just plug the disc in and 4min later you have a working OS, User rights, add remove program, network, DHCP...ALL is working.

And I edited the front (desktop, explorer icons) to XP style, so it looks really nice too...

..and it pulls 18MB idle.

I guess that this is supposed to be defined as "teasing"

Cannot say if the above matches the requirements for "cruel"" teasing, but I suspect so. :(

No way to have a howto, a list of files, anything? :wacko:

jaclaz

I'm sorry if it came off as teasing, it was merely some "showoff" ;)

I will not drop anything here, too many bad experiences with people taking my things and mess things up.

It will get out somewhere as soon as I solved the last small things, only need some spare time ;)

I'm sorry if it came off as teasing, it was merely some "showoff" ;)

I will not drop anything here, too many bad experiences with people taking my things and mess things up.

It will get out somewhere as soon as I solved the last small things, only need some spare time ;)

It's the same old story, Clint,

From The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

"You see, in this world, there are two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

You have the loaded gun.... :(

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I just wanted to say thanks for your work...somehow i found a copy of your appliance edition and works great!

Look forward to see if someday some os works in 128mb cf :)

(Well,windows 98 stripped to the max does :P )