My First Torrent

Jeremy

Hi, my first torrent; how do I seed it? I'm using BitComet and I uploaded the torrent to Mininova. I am behind a router but I have the listen port forwarded. I have a few trackers that I copied and pasted from another torrent (hope this doesn't really matter). The torrent is hash-checked and 100% complete locally, lol, since it's mine. Any advice would be very helpful. :hello:

so long as you forwarded the correct TCP and UDP ports then it should be fine. Also its best not to use the default Bittorrent port numbers as private trackers tend to block them.

Well id say use something above 10000 but you could use any port providing its not a reserved one for a specific service. eg 21,80 etc etc

Edited by ScubaSteve

Ah, I see. Well, I think there's been some lack of elaboration on my part. I'm not new to torrents. I'm using BitComet and I have the listening port forwarded on my router and I have no trouble uploading. Here's exactly what I did:

1. Used MakeTorrent 2.1 to create the torrent. I put in a description and chose one of the default listed trackers, which the program said was "Alive". The video I made was hashed and then the torrent was created.

2. I put both the torrent and the video in my torrent downloads folder and opened the torrent with BitComet. The hash was checked 100% and then all BitComet says is "Connecting". There should be 1 seed, being me, since it's mine.

3. I uploaded the torrent to Mininova.org.

4. I left it on overnight and was uploading but at 0 KB/s.

What am I not doing/doing wrong?

mytorrent2up.jpg

Edited by Jeremy

If nobody is downloading your torrent you're not going to be uploading anything :lol:

Remember, it's P2P so others are going to be downloading from your machine.

Edited by LLXX

Jeremy I have a question for you: why are you still using BitComet when there is µTorrent? Is it some feature missing or other problem you had with µTorrent? µTorrent also has a built in torrent creator and it works well imo.

BitComet allows to rename files in multi-file torrents before they are downloaded.

"Why not just rename them afterwards?"

Because I've encountered a few torrents created with foreign characters in the filename, and the OS doesn't like that very much. For example, on UNIX filesystems every single character that is not a null byte nor a forward slash is allowed in a filename! Even backslashes can be present in their filenames, but must be "escaped" before use.

Jeremy I have a question for you: why are you still using BitComet when there is µTorrent? Is it some feature missing or other problem you had with µTorrent? µTorrent also has a built in torrent creator and it works well imo.

i've successfully made/seeded many torrents with utorrent. it's brilliant!

jeremy, pm me the .torrent and i'll see if i can connect.

that's not what he's sayin.

there are files in some torrents that are valid filenames in UNIX, but those same filenames won't be able to be created in windows. (and thus need renaming)

edit: just thought of something. if u use utorrent, go to options > speed guide > then click 'test if port is forwarded properly'

and i'm unable to connect to the tracker right now, seeing 0.00 copies, 2 peers

try sticking it on pirate bay too, they've got a decent tracker

Edited by Ophiel X

from what i understand, any port over 10000 is a good rule for all P2P apps. ISP's and whoever else sometimes block traffic on lower ports, or throttle bandwidth.

Use 80, 21. Maybe that 65 works too.

Hey, don't kick me! :P

Also, BitComet is a nice app, which is not slow, does not take much RAM, is performant.

It's ok guys. I decided not to torrent my file. No one started downloading it after a day and a half so I figured it was pointless.

DigeratiPrime, I don't use uTorrent because for me it sucks. I tried the same torrent in BitComet and uTorrent and BitComet picked up more seeds instantly than uTorrent did in 30 minutes. BitComet was going at 50 KB/s and uTorrent was at 0-2 KB/s. And yes, I know how to forward ports on my router. I've tried the latest versions and the same result occurs as did on older versions.