Windows Installer Service broke

sl.robinson9

I am trying to reinstall MS Word via my Offfice 2003 disk, and the Windows Installer hangs and then eventually says "The Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I am not running in safe mode and I have no idead why the installer would be broke or corrupted. And of course there is no 'support personnel.'

This problem may have just started as it seems directly related to my MS Word problem. I posted a related message on the MS Word forum.

Ideas???

Steve

Don't use it in safe mode. Like me, you'll more than likely corrupt your msiexec.exe by trying to start the service in safe mode :no:

I would download a newer version of windows installer (i.e. 3.0) and install it before trying to install ms office.
That's the next step.

Or make a batch file with this

start /wait msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regsvr
msiexec /register

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the 2 replies. I was able to go back and restore to a point on 1 May and that seemed to fix both problems (installer and word). I am not proficient in writing code as you suggest T D, but would give it a shot with someone guiding me, if needed. I've also downloaded windows installer 3.1 from the softwarepatch.com website. Haven't installed it yet; will wait and see if the problem reoccurs. Or do you recommend I go ahead and install anyway?

Steve

(Dell Dimension 8200 | 1.8G P4 | 1280MB PC800 DRAM | XP PRo | NVIDIA GeForce4 |

start /wait msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regsvr
msiexec /register

Just copy and paste the lot in notepad, save it as msiexec.cmd on your desktop (not msiexec.cmd.txt) and run it.

:)

Or do you recommend I go ahead and install anyway?

Install anyway. It's always better to have a later version anyway.

Edited by T D

• 2 years later...