48-bit LBA on Win2k setup

red2k

• 4 months later...

What I need is patched SETUPREG.HIV for advanced server. The above supplied file does work HOWEVER it blows up the advanced server install and turns it into ordinary server edition after its running, losing the larger ram support ect ... If such a file exsists can I get a copy purty please?

What I need is patched SETUPREG.HIV for advanced server. The above supplied file does work HOWEVER it blows up the advanced server install and turns it into ordinary server edition after its running, losing the larger ram support ect ... If such a file exsists can I get a copy purty please?

No, you don't need a patched SETUPREG.HIV. :whistle:

You need to patch your SETUPREG.HIV, READ here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/48-bit-lba-win2k...13-page-17.html

The batch will ONLY set the appropriate keys, leaving all the other ones (including the ones related to the version) as-they-are-now. :)

jaclaz

Bad link with the blown up "new" formun layout I get the start page. This will fix the hiv file in my install cd? Thats what I need to be able to run the windows install & find drives bigger than 130 gig. Not a registry fix AFTER its running thanks.

Bad link with the blown up "new" formun layout I get the start page. This will fix the hiv file in my install cd? Thats what I need to be able to run the windows install & find drives bigger than 130 gig. Not a registry fix AFTER its running thanks.

With all due respect for the Owners and Admins of the board :rolleyes: , they do seem to have a twist for changing the way links work (or completely fail to). :realmad:

However it's post #18 in this same thread.

See if these work:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...75713&st=17

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=590337

jaclaz

Grazie jaclaz I will do my best to revisit my dos commands from 15-20 years past lol.

Actually you DO NOT need to.

Copy the snippet in a NOTEPAD file, save it with a .cmd extension.

Make sure to change this line:

set winsource=q:\wnt50sp4\i386

to the actual path of your \i386 directory (copied from Cd to hard disk)

Make sure to put reg.exe in the same folder where you save the file.

Double click on the .cmd file in Explorer.

Or you can use REGEDIT manually allright.

jaclaz

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]

© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd\

C:\>LbaFix.cmd

C:\>setlocal

C:\>set winsource=C:\AdSvr\i386

C:\>attrib -r -a -s -h C:\AdSvr\i386\setupreg.hiv

C:\>reg load HKLM\Setup C:\AdSvr\i386\setupreg.hiv

The operation completed successfully

C:\>set regkey=ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters

C:\>reg add HKLM\Setup\ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters /v EnableBigLba /

t reg_dword /d 00000001 /f

C:\>reg unload HKLM\Setup

C:\>set winsource=

C:\>set regkey=

C:\>endlocal

C:\>

Also I replaced NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR in the iso with versions from win2003R2 sp2 to fix the notorious advanced server 5 minute reboot times.

Just completed test install: quad core 8 gig of ram terabyte drives ... Its up and running! Thanks again for the help!

Hey gentlmen:

I made a cmd file and am posting it here.

All you need is reg.exe and this in the root of your disk. (Same folder as i386)

setlocal
set winsource=.\i386
attrib -r -a -s -h %winsource%\setupreg.hiv
reg load HKLM\Setup %winsource%\setupreg.hiv
set regkey=ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters
reg add HKLM\Setup\%regkey% /v EnableBigLba /t reg_dword /d 00000001 /f
reg unload HKLM\Setup
set winsource=
set regkey=
endlocal

Run it then delete the 2 files. Viola everything is done...

All credit goes to Jaclaz for the info links.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I made a cmd file and am posting it here.

:w00t:

All credit goes to Jaclaz for the info links.

I guess that all credits should go to os2fan2 that wrote the batch snippet that you just posted almost verbatim.

(or at least I seem to fail noticing any difference worth mentioning) :ph34r::

setlocal

set winsource=q:\wnt50sp4\i386

reg unload HKLM\Setup

set winsource=

set regkey=

endlocal

setlocal

set winsource=.\i386

reg unload HKLM\Setup

set winsource=

set regkey=

endlocal

:unsure:

jaclaz

OH I also meant to post the actual cmd and ask if adding the reg.exe was fine.

Makes me wonder though Jaclaz:

If this works for the lba fix what else can we cram in to the HIV file this way?

Well, almost "anything".

SETUPREG.HIV is nothing but an initial canvas on which the "base" registry of the OS to be installed will be created upon.

If you are into experimenting, here are some ideas:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...125116&st=0

And some related examples:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=122505&hl=

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8798

http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5398

The technique is widely used on PE's.

jaclaz

Have a look in setupreg.hiv, you will see that it loads various things like device drivers and services.

Things ye might include here are alternate disk driver utilities, or video drivers: pretty much anything that needs a service.

Because in essence, this is the registry for the character mode setup.

The full setup is not made until the character mode setup is done: watch the bottom line as setup is run. You will see it loading hivesft, hivedft, etc at the very end of the process.

• 7 months later...

Thanks to os2fan2 for post #18

I could swear I've seen an nlite option to enable 48-bit LBA, "large disks" or something to that effect.

I have installed Win2k+sp4 on 160GB sata disks without EnableBigLba in registry and it works fine -- how come? But also I have cases where only the first 128GB are seen and the rest is "unformatted", "corrupt", etc.

About REG.EXE batch commands, I use quotes (e.g in ADD command) in case filenames or parameters contain spaces.

• 2 years later...

It's my belief, that somethere there is a one-file plugin that sets up the EnableBigLBA with RVMI, that a noob can slip into a clean set of original source files. Noobs don’t want to maintain multiple sets of original sources. It's hard enough already.

to summarize the above

#1 red2k proposes to replace SETUREG.HIV with a 69K file ... he doesn’t say, but as noob I’m guessing this would modify the original source before running nLite or ryansVM Integrator. That means two sets of original source files. As noob ... I don’t want to change a setup file after slipping because I don’t know if RVMI or nLite or some patch didn’t already add something critical.

#9 Oleg_II proposes the reg file solution, which works in hfslip, but not in RVMI or nLite (HFSLIP demands it's own file structure, which, for someone who was not part of its evolution, is quixotic and totally unforgiving). He mentions the test executable from 48bitlba.com, but that won’t slipstream in RVMI or nLite, or run batch unattended. Maxtor and Seagate have executables to set 48bit lba which might work in runonce.

#15 fdv proposes opening HIVESFT.INF and doing a cut and paste. I don’t trust myself with a one-time cut-and-paste for setting up hdds. I just want to integrate an addon or inf patch file.

#18 os2fan2 proposes a batch file to modify setupreg.hiv. In #43 he explains that setupreg.hiv is in effect the registry during text mode setup. (good info ... thanks!) There is a link to an expanded HIVEFIX.INF by os2fan2 with all kinds of bonus tweaks. The 2nd line of the batch says “You need to also fix the file txtsetup.sif to get this to run.” He doesn’t say how. That’s a full stop for a noob like me. In #21 Tomcat says the expanded version produced a BSOD.

#39 Kelsenellenelvian explains how to setup the 48-bit batch by os2fan2.

I’m guessing that hivefix.inf can be tweaned before or after integration ... as long as it’s before system installation.

(aside ... this would apply to installation into very large partitions ... problem is M$ programmed setup installers to fling directories (potentially containing files that need to be frequently accessed) across the full span of the install partition. New directories are randomly placed so as to fill the entire freespace of the partition, and then they are made unmovable for FAT32 systems. The installer is programmed to expand the system into all available free space, even if it causes fragmentation of the page file. I have to assume that MS engineers must understand the technology of their profits. This is not normal fragmentation. It is random seek banging that will slow down a FAT32 system and accelerate the crash of a hdd, since directories that are installed into the farthest reaches of a partition cannot be defragged or compacted back into the rest of the files at the top of a partition. Because the setup installer is programmed to fill all available partiton space with flung directories, I’d suggest that the setup installer be restrained to smallest partition reasonably possible ... 5G leaves 2g for pagefile, 2 gig for files, 1 gig for defragging and for temp expansions and contractions. The partition can be expanded after MS setup installers are gone.

Net result, after reading the above, hopefully most noobs aren't going to setup systems on partitions that cross the 128g barrier ... if they want to use a large partition and fast trash their new hdd, then, the hivefix.inf is probably an important one ... I don't know about the text mode OS, but after install, a large hdd in 2k without the 48bit reg setting will screw up the system, even if the hdd is never accessed, read, or written to. 2k needs to make drive letter asignments, and when there is a large hdd in a system which is not 48bit enabled, the process that tries to make the driver letter assignments gets stuck in some kind of loop when it studies the big one ... so I would assume the same problem might exist in the OS used by text mode setup as well ...?)

There is a solution in nLite, but (IMHO) it’s not easy or intuitive to find. We want EnableLBA support for our system HDDs. Open nLite, go to the Tweaks page, then open the “Explorer” section (not My Computer, not Performance, not Devices, not Management, ...) then wade into all the bubblegum and display tweaks for Explorer (to a noob, Explorer is mostly about bubblegum and display) ... inquire into the ninth tweak, which is labeled “Large Partition Support” (hmmm.... what's that? ... Unlike other options in this setting, this one is not some bubblegum tweak about Explorer display options. It's not labeled, EnableBigLBA support, or 48-bit HDD support, or Large Harddrives > 128g, ...) . Large Partition support enables a large HDD, even if you don't use "large partitions."

After 12 years, and thousands of posts, I still haven't found a simple one-file plugin for RVMI (or nLite) which will set the EnableBigLBA

admittedly there already is one, but it’s Gurglemeyer’s 120meg SP51. At the moment, that’s the smallest one-file plugin that will set a simple reg entry in nLite or RVMI!

(oh, humble me!) I don’t have a VM yet to test this on, but I did find an inf file for XP that might (!) possibly (!) work (untested!) as a small one-file plugin for RVMI and nLite... it’s from KB303013 for XP but should work in 2k

open a text file called 48bitLBA.inf

add the following code

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=48bitlba.Add.Reg

[48bitlba.Add.Reg]
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters","EnableBigLba",0x10001,1

In RyanVM Integrator, add this file into the addons section of RyansVM integrator, or in nLite, add the file to the Hotfixes, Addon, Update Packs page.

OMG! Finally, after twelve years, and thousands of posts, is there now finally a one-file one-step go-solution plugin to EnableBigLBA for noobs ... just integrate and go.

I don’t have a VM to test this on at the moment ... I ventured off onto this part of my learning curve trying to build a machine to build a machine with, etc. I want to get a bootUSB working before I try mounting the learning curve for a VM, so maybe someone with a VM could test and confirm before me?

Edited by Molecule