Disable MSN Messenger startup

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, and have a little question:

I have an unnatended winxp which includes MSN messenger 7.5.

I was just wondering is it somehow possible to disable it from starting up with windows ?

I know that it can be done by selecting the apropriate option in msn itself, but is there any way I can do this unatended, meaning I install winxp and have MSN 7.5 which doesn't startup ?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Smor,

This regedit will do it:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"msnmsgr"=-

After Messenger is installed, run that regedit. This will stop messenger 7.5 from auto starting but only for the user currently logged in. There may be a way to disable it for all accounts, anyone?

@Gee:

I just tried the reg fix You supplied earlier (well, not yet in a fresh unatended xp install, but added that reg key manually), restarted comp, but everything is just as before. Nothing changed. It seems like that this reg setting doesn't do the trick :/

@gdkehl:

I encountered that reg. entry searching on this topic over the internet. But I need something for every user that exists, even ones that will be created in the future, if possible ?

Will try with hkey_local_machine now

Edited by Smor

I just realized that my Registry tweak only works with versions prior to 7.

I don't use MSN, hate it. But I am sure that the one gdkehl provided will work if you change it to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE. It should affect every user.

Yeah, i hate it, too. But I need it for other ppl where i install xp very often.

I am waiting for the virtual pc to startup as I type this. When it starts, i can tell if gdkehl's changed solution works....

aaaargh.. it doesn't.

any other solutions ?

Smor,

that entry doesn't exist under HKLM

I have been trying to disable that for every user myself. I know if I can get it into the default user profile it will take place for every user, but the problem is the program isn't installed yet. So, I just disabled it for the main accouont that will be using the computer.

Smor,

try this. it is the regedit that i use to disable messenger 7.5

save and double click; it will remove the entry from the currently logged in profile

reboot and messenger will not auto start

NoMsnMsgr.reg

Add this to a batch file

REG DELETE "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\msn messenger" /F
REG DELETE "hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\msn messenger" /F

:D

I added this into RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v MsnMsgr /f

This thing did the trick.

thnx everyone!

cheers

Edited by Smor