[Release] WindowsMediaLite 2.2.0

ladude626

Used to use the k-lite packs a lot, then i switched to VLC which has it's own, and now i'm getting tired of VLC and looking to go back to MPC. Thanks for pointing out the update :)

That looks good. My problem is encoding though. I need the codecs installed and available for encoding. That's why i'm stepping away from VLC. But for someone who doesn't encode or only wants one media player, that looks pretty spiffy! Even if you do encode, you could still install additional codes i suppose, but i like to keep things clean.

Edited by atomizer

Codecs in MPlayer/mencoder. Do you mean...

But the codecs are not of use to anything but MPlayer, right? From their website:

The packages contain only the DLLs required by MPlayer, with no installer, .inf files and other stuff needed to use them in Windows.

Indeed, they are modified a bit. Use mencoder.exe for encoding.

And check this website for optimized builds which could be nice when encoding. Btw if you're willing to run a quick benchmark, I'd be very interested. ;)

If you want to use VirtualDub (for instance), you can use ffdshow. When installing, select VFW interface. Then if VirtualDub, go to encoding or decoding options, and in the decoding tab of ffdshow, check that the format you need is enabled. (need a screen capture, no problem ;) )

Tux, thanks a lot for the info. I just tried MPlayer with the MPUI and was pretty disappointed as there's very little configuring that can be done from the UI. It worked fine however for the few tests i did. I also just tried the k-lite mega pack with the update (i chose MPC as the player). Did a completely default install. Wow -- what a disappointment! exceptions, exceptions, exceptions. Could not render WMV. When uninstalling, the installer left behind several reg entries and several files and directories. I used to use these packs before, but never again.

I know K-Sphere's pack is well regarded and i've used that before (though i can't remember if it has encoders), but there's another highly regarded pack that is mentioned often here. Might you know what it is?

However, i'm really tempted to do a little more work and forget about these codec packs and just install only what i need.