Clicking sound from my 250GB HDD

during virus scan i heard a loud Clicking sound from my 250GB HDD but now wen i try to boot the machine won't show my HDD at boot screen..... :wacko::wacko: i need to know how i can go about backing up my data from this hard drive :yes: Thanks for your expertise

wello to be honest it sounds like a head crash on your HDD. try as liquidhonesty suggested and if you dont get any good results then it sounds like your hardrive has gone. i had the same problem with one drive i had partitioned. it recognized the drive but i could only access one partition as one of the heads had crashed. i hope it works ok for ya though and you havent lost anything vital

To diagnose hard drive problems, the best choice is to test it with the tool made by the disk's manufacturer. You can try to recover the datas with hdd regenerator from dposoft.
They're just selling the equivalent functionality in another freeware program, MHDD.
This software can make precise diagnostic of the mechanical part of a drive, view SMART attributes, perform Low-level format, bad sector repair, different tests and tens of other functions.
HDD Regenerator is a unique program for regeneration of physically damaged hard disk drives. It does not hide bad sectors, it really restores them!

Also try to use another power cable i mean the power cable from the power supply to the harddisk (not data cable) or replace the power supply to be sure its not a power problem.

Edited by XP_2600

Thanks all u guys however this HDD seems to still click after freezing after 24hr but i was able to detect the drive ( darn the wierdest thing is that wen i took it out of my PC i saw like 1000s of small redish ANTS marching out )

since nobody has mentioned it yet, throw the drive in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a few hours. this shrinks the read/write heads and allows data to be recovered. i know it sounds crazy but i did it myself once and it actually works. best of luck to ya.