How do I stop XP from ballooning new windows?

Marztabator

Hi all, thought I'd make my debut appearance here on the MSFN board. :rolleyes: This looks like a really helpful board, so maybe you lot could help me out with this problem:

One of *the* most irritating things about XP is that it *always* opens new (as in not examined before) folders, and folders on a non-writable media such as CD, in a ridiculously huge window size, which looks uncomfortable to work around in, whatever file view setting you have set up. It's even worse on CD though, because at least XP can remember your *exact* view settings for directories on an HD (whether this is temporary or permanent I am not sure). On disc, even after you alter the size, close the window then immediately re-open the folder afterwards, it keeps bloody defaulting back to the horrible huge balloon size that would amazingly fill the whole screen if you were using a pretty low resolution such as 800x600 (which appears to be the default res for XP).

I've asked for help on this numerous times on Annoyances.org, but hardly anyone ever replies to me on this matter. Is it really an impossible task? :)

I would absolutely LOVE it if any of you could give out some helpful advice on this matter. Thankies!!! :D

Judging by the way you write it I asume that you Windows set to "Open in new folder" when you open something, right? ... So would'n it be easiest to just use "Open in same window"? ... Then the CD would resize to the size of "My Computer" which Windows remembers the size of! :)

You mean the "Open each folder in the same window" option? It may be useful for some peeps, but it's not really useful for me as I'm too used to the classic 9x approach of dealing with multiple directories in multiple windows at once. :)

I just tried this on my system running XP Pro. In the Folder Options of the My Computer window on the General Tab, set it to " Open each folder in its own window", then on the View Tab\Advanced Settings, chose "Remember each folder's view settings". When I opened a window for the C drive under My Computer it opened at exactly the same size as the first window.