file missing

miti

Hi

I am a newbee and my peoblem with my xp is that whenever I turn on my notebook it appears on the monitor the following message :

missing file "C:\WINDOWS\_p9hEPQkbj.exe"

Now how can I know which program has used or is now requiring this missing file?

many thanks miti

Dont mean to scare you but that looks like a virus or spyware to me. Filenames that look like that are randomly generated to hide their existance. You could right click the file and goto properties and see if it has a version tab. If it does then it may reveal a company name in there somewhere. Let us know what you find.

I have run a virus scan with Norton and it did not reveal anyhting....I have also run one with

Windows Live Safety Center but nothing.....the problem persists still. Is it pos to get a ad-ware scan from the web without any risk?

I have run a virus scan with Norton and it did not reveal anyhting....I have also run one with

Windows Live Safety Center but nothing.....the problem persists still. Is it pos to get a ad-ware scan from the web without any risk?

Yes you're right LLXX but can I use safely only online free AV? I had just bought this useless NAV 2006 that slow down everyhtig.....and it cost me 80$

am not that rich to throw away money. It's so frustrating

I suggest switching to a different AV than Norton. NAV takes up a lot of resources and doesn't really have that great of a detection rate.

Maybe you could recommend something to our friend? Personally, I have been using, recommending, and providing symantec corporate AV solutions to clients for years. I have yet never seen or heard any of my clients catching a virus. Myself included. Symantec AV does hog resources no doubt. I disagree on the detection rate. I believe it is just as good as any other AV solution. However I will say that symantec AV is terrible at cleaning a computer once it is infected and found that using a free version such as AVG does a better job. If you use symantec AV, make sure you schedule "daily" updates because by default its once a week. Stay away from norton internet security if you value resources! My 2 cents.