[how-to] Removeing the WGA "update"

janus zeal

I'm going to make the executive decision to remove this since it could be used to allow illegal copies of Windows to be run, which would be breaking the Windows XP EULA and the forum rules.

I don't personally mind certain mods or removals, but when it comes to a validation check from Microsoft about a Microsoft product, don't tell people how to remove it. If you're having troubles, contact Microsoft Customer Support.

LOL this entire forum, includeing MS addons, Nlite, XPize shall i name more? Are against M$ EULA, please correct me if i'm wrong. But there is certain person/person's on here..Not saying any names, that has direct links too the addon for the WGA for Nlite. And its been there, and updated for months...Im not bashing here...But im seriously getting annoyed with people picking and choosing, whom, what post, and what is against M$ EULA. Yet there are plenty, that are big contributers too the community that are looked passed. I've been in this idustry for 16 years. I've never had a site more helpful than this one honestly. But i'm getting a little irritated at mods getting too pick whats legal, and what isn't. According too the DMCA about 80-90% of the addons are distributed withought written consent...am i right? Nuff rambling, i got 1200 servers too tend too, and im hungry = }

If you've got problems with the utility - contact Microsoft.

that's pretty rude. people come to MSFN as the smart alternative to microsoft support. just because you like the new WGA doesn't mean that everyone else does.

I disagree

It isn't rude at all, it is honest.

Zxian never said that he liked the new WGA, just that bypassing it couldn't be discussed here.

He has a valid point.

WGA is there for a reason, and that reason is to prevent M$ losing millions of bucks every year (probably every day).

If, however, the WGA software doesn't work for you, or does something unusual, then check the forums. Ask if other people are having the same problems, ask how they 'fixed' the problem, and then, if all else fails, call M$.

On a law abiding site, however, telling people how to bypass, or crack such a system is wrong. From what I have seen of the site, it is about helping people with problems, not helping people to steal.

calling someone a thief because they want to remove a malfunctioning addon is hardly fair.

and by telling me to ask about it on the forums you totally supported my viewpoint.

i understand why microsoft wants us to have WGA, but i also understand why someone would want to remove it. i'm an understanding type of guy.

Edited by Ophiel X

LOL this entire forum, includeing MS addons, Nlite, XPize shall i name more? Are against M$ EULA, please correct me if i'm wrong. But there is certain person/person's on here..Not saying any names, that has direct links too the addon for the WGA for Nlite. And its been there, and updated for months...Im not bashing here...But im seriously getting annoyed with people picking and choosing, whom, what post, and what is against M$ EULA. Yet there are plenty, that are big contributers too the community that are looked passed. I've been in this idustry for 16 years. I've never had a site more helpful than this one honestly. But i'm getting a little irritated at mods getting too pick whats legal, and what isn't. According too the DMCA about 80-90% of the addons are distributed withought written consent...am i right? Nuff rambling, i got 1200 servers too tend too, and im hungry = }
:yes: according to Micro$oft's EULA, you're not allowed to modify any of their files, yet most of us do do that.

What I find especially ironic is how easy it is to remove this WGA update, I would definitely not consider deleting a few files and registry keys as a crack.

M$ does not force you to install it, and an installation of legit XP without it is legal. Thus, you should also be able to legally remove it.

:yes: according to Micro$oft's EULA, you're not allowed to modify any of their files, yet most of us do do that.

What I find especially ironic is how easy it is to remove this WGA update, I would definitely not consider deleting a few files and registry keys as a crack.

M$ does not force you to install it, and an installation of legit XP without it is legal. Thus, you should also be able to legally remove it.

Thats exactly what i meant. So the mods actions of deleting the information pratty much was a pick and choose type thing. This entire forum and most of its contents are against M$ EULA. Now if he would have been stating how too crack it, then thats a dif story. He was telling us how too disable it. But too say that this action is illegal. But KELS addon for the WGA that is hosted here is not; IMO is just selective modding. Or too allow xpero.msfn.org too exsist, or win2k3.msfn.org "which i tell you is way against MS EULA." They again are all against EULA. And i would go as far as too ask mod's too allow this too be reposted. WGA is just as much a part of windows as system32.dll is. So if legitcheck.dll can't be allowed on this site with out being called illegal. I dont think xpize should be allowed on here, being that it modifies almost every MS file there is! By the way i love Xpize GOOD JOB XPERO = } :thumbup

Who would put their homepage to windows update? *revolted*

Why not using another browser than IE ?

That's not forbidden by MS EULA...

I were told that Mozilla Firefox rocks. Maybe you can give it a try ?

It may suits you so well that you choose its icon as avatar...

*revolted againts easy-revolts* :angry:

I use firefox, hence my avatar...

But I mean you don't need to check WU every time you open IE or any other browser, so why is it your homepage? And I think it's strange if WU is your homepage, unless your a M$ techhie checking WU is functioning or something.

Let me ask you this question and you'll (hopefully) see the difference between removing the WGA Hotfix and XPize or the uxtheme hack (etc etc).

Does XPize cause Microsoft to loose any money? No. Why would they go out of their way to shutdown a product that makes people want to use their product more?

Does the WGA removal cause Microsoft to loose money? It very well could. As for how much money Microsoft is loosing - I remember reading that something like 47% of companies here in Vancouver were found to use pirated software. Maybe not Windows, but it still gives you a general idea of how bad things are. I'm not sure what a 100 user VLK licence for Windows costs (I've never had to buy one), but I'm prety sure it's a fair chunk of money.

By the way Ophiel X - I never saw anyone directly call you a theif. I'm just trying to prevent the person who Googles "WGA Removal" from finding information here that would cause Microsoft to loose money.

If you have problems with the validation tool not recognising (what you think is) your genuine OS or Office, try

http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?siteid=25

I had a problem with my Office validation, which the MS people there sorted out very quickly (turned out to be a corrupt data.dat file; deleting that and reactivating Office fixed it).

There is also a link in one of the posts for a diagnostics tool.

The mention of the EULA is pretty funny, what with a "sticky" Important Topic in this section named "SP2 needed hacked files list"...

Hmm...maybe it's not funny. Maybe it's the solution to a problem.

It's obvious that Microsoft's legal team has done an excellent job of putting the fear of god into owners of sites like this. But Microsoft's implicit condoning of people breaking the EULA with themes, file protection, etc means that any action MS takes against breaking the EULA in any other fashion is unenforceable. Basically, one cannot write an agreement and say "It's OK to break it if it helps us sell product", and that's exactly what Microsoft is doing!

There is a group called the Electronic Frontier Foundation which deals with things like this, perhaps some site owners should get in touch with them...

mhc

By the way Ophiel X - I never saw anyone directly call you a theif. I'm just trying to prevent the person who Googles "WGA Removal" from finding information here that would cause Microsoft to loose money.

i was responding to grunthos' statement "From what I have seen of the site, it is about helping people with problems, not helping people to steal."

it's not your job to keep m$ from losing money. do you own stock or what?

I agree, Microsoft should at least give an option to disable these annoying nagware for users with legit copies of Windows.

I have a legit copy, I started a topic not long ago about this WGA s*** they implemented. I installed the first one, everything went well. I installed the second version, and it said my Windows was not legit, though this was temporary and never appeared again.

Geez, Microsoft can't get anything right these days. I don't see a point of updating this WGA "critical update" so frequently.

If they expect us to download this "update", at least make it perfect, not leave errors and bugs in it, geez.

i was responding to grunthos' statement "From what I have seen of the site, it is about helping people with problems, not helping people to steal."

it's not your job to keep m$ from losing money. do you own stock or what?

There was no intention on my part to call anyone a thief with that statement. It was just a generalization, and not aimed at any individuals.

Apologies if you felt this to be a personal attack.

if you want to discuss illegal activities, there are plenty of other forums that ONLY discuss them, just use one of them

keep msfn clean, the information here is awesome and a lot of work goes into it

I agree, Microsoft should at least give an option to disable these annoying nagware for users with legit copies of Windows.
That would be the "Don't Install It" or "Remove It" option.

so goes on and on the endless debate about choosing between legality and bughunting,

i stil think that MSFN is right in not wanting to have any info about stuf to crack MS"s prevention of using illigal versions of it's software,

so i think we'd better start talking about getting MS to fix the prob instead of how to bypass it..

btw. Email bombing is not illigal in most parts of the world (as there are just no laws about the max of emails you are alowed to send to 1 specific address).

so maybe we'd better start filing support request with this problem (instead of looking for crack), and even though is about just as nasty...

at least its not illigal :).

That would be the "Don't Install It" or "Remove It" option.

If I don't install it I won't be able to receive future updates.

There isn't a remove option for this stupid WGA crap. Looked for one, not available.