[how-to] Removeing the WGA "update"

janus zeal

Windows update has installed something knows as Windows Genuine Advantage Valadation Tool. it has caused many people alot of problems. i keep getting asked how to remove it, so im going to copy and paste my post from my forums.

Link and content removed. See below.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

"the bs part is i have an original xp key, but for some resion it says its invalid... im reading it right off the certificate."

That's because you're using the wrong media to install Windows. Your CDKey is probably for Windows XP Home OEM edition. You are probably using some pirate version of XP you got off the net, and expecting your CDKey to work.

"the bs part is i have an original xp key, but for some resion it says its invalid... im reading it right off the certificate."

That's because you're using the wrong media to install Windows. Your CDKey is probably for Windows XP Home OEM edition. You are probably using some pirate version of XP you got off the net, and expecting your CDKey to work.

umm, no, actaully i have a windows xp pro original cd, box, book, etc, that i got from newegg.com. but thank you... Edited by janus zeal

I'm going to make the executive decision to remove this since it could be used to allow illegal copies of Windows to be run, which would be breaking the Windows XP EULA and the forum rules.

I don't personally mind certain mods or removals, but when it comes to a validation check from Microsoft about a Microsoft product, don't tell people how to remove it. If you're having troubles, contact Microsoft Customer Support.

I'm going to make the executive decision to remove this since it could be used to allow illegal copies of Windows to be run, which would be breaking the Windows XP EULA and the forum rules.

I don't personally mind certain mods or removals, but when it comes to a validation check from Microsoft about a Microsoft product, don't tell people how to remove it. If you're having troubles, contact Microsoft Customer Support.

Im sorry, please delete the topic. <-- nevermind Edited by janus zeal

I asked them how to remove it because for me, an annoying balloon tip pops up every few mins saying "thank you forpurchasing windows" and IE always opens to the WGA advantages page. So I removed it, btw I can't use windows update anymore, I'll have to use windiz update.

Yeah, the point was to remove the annoying-ness for legal copys of windows, but there is always the possablity that it could be used for the wrong resions.

btw, did you try changeing your home page? (stupid question)

it is both LEGAL and SANE to want to remove this bastard of a utility.

it is both LEGAL and SANE to want to remove this bastard of a utility.
:yes: I own the hard drive their software is residing on, I own the processor their software is executing on, and if I don't need/want it I can do whatever I want with it.

"Discussion of CD-burning programs is not allowed because they can be used to make illegal copies of software" :wacko:

Edited by Zxian

@Ophiel X - I've got the WGA tool on my computer and I've got no problems whatsoever. None of my friends that I talk to have had problems with it either. Aside from when it was first installed, I haven't seen it appear since. If you've got problems with the utility - contact Microsoft.

@LLXX - Yes you own all the hardware in your computer. What you decide to do with it is your decision. The licence that you bought from Microsoft does NOT give you the right to do whatever you want with Windows. It gives you the right to use Windows. It's like giving some one the keys and full access to use a car, but they don't own the car itself. If you don't like it, go buy a different car.

As for the comparisons with CD-burning programs - it's totally different. With a legal copy of Windows, you shouldn't have any troubles in the end. If you've got an illegal copy of Windows, then the tool does its job. A CD burning program can be used for just about any purpose - legal or illegal.

How would you two like it if millions of people started stealing your product? The post stays the way it is.

Who would put their homepage to windows update? *revolted*

Why not using another browser than IE ?

That's not forbidden by MS EULA...

I were told that Mozilla Firefox rocks. Maybe you can give it a try ?

It may suits you so well that you choose its icon as avatar...

*revolted againts easy-revolts* :angry:

If you've got problems with the utility - contact Microsoft.

that's pretty rude. people come to MSFN as the smart alternative to microsoft support. just because you like the new WGA doesn't mean that everyone else does.

If you've got problems with the utility - contact Microsoft.

that's pretty rude. people come to MSFN as the smart alternative to microsoft support. just because you like the new WGA doesn't mean that everyone else does.

I disagree

It isn't rude at all, it is honest.

Zxian never said that he liked the new WGA, just that bypassing it couldn't be discussed here.

He has a valid point.

WGA is there for a reason, and that reason is to prevent M$ losing millions of bucks every year (probably every day).

If, however, the WGA software doesn't work for you, or does something unusual, then check the forums. Ask if other people are having the same problems, ask how they 'fixed' the problem, and then, if all else fails, call M$.

On a law abiding site, however, telling people how to bypass, or crack such a system is wrong. From what I have seen of the site, it is about helping people with problems, not helping people to steal.

I disagree

It isn't rude at all, it is honest.

Zxian never said that he liked the new WGA, just that bypassing it couldn't be discussed here.

He has a valid point.

WGA is there for a reason, and that reason is to prevent M$ losing millions of bucks every year (probably every day).

If, however, the WGA software doesn't work for you, or does something unusual, then check the forums. Ask if other people are having the same problems, ask how they 'fixed' the problem, and then, if all else fails, call M$.

On a law abiding site, however, telling people how to bypass, or crack such a system is wrong. From what I have seen of the site, it is about helping people with problems, not helping people to steal.

i agree in every aspect, except that i really doubt MS is loseing nearly that much money.