How light is your setup?

Googler24022

Hi,

If you think you have tweaked your Windows Xp to the maximum why don't you send a picture of the task manager and the performance tab to see how you compare with other users.

I myself have tweaked with installation pretty heavily removing a lot of drivers. All the applications and some other bits and bobs.

Here are my two screens. How do you think you will compare?

post-59226-1149252175_thumb.jpgpost-59226-1149252262_thumb.jpg

That does not make a lot of sense... you can't see the "slimness" of you windows only using the taskmanager ;) Also the needed programs differ from hardware to hardware. Some mouses / keyboards need extra software to provide the extra functions of some keys. Some ppl do ahve a RAID-Controller, which (sometimes) needs a program for a RAID monitor or somethign like this. ;)

i think llxx wins, lol.

with all my software installed i have 16 tasks running.

that includes 2 for kaspersky, 1 for perfectdisk, and 3 svchosts

edit: had to reboot to get a proper list.

Edited by Ophiel X

Norton has like 5 processes for the antivirus and 3 for firewall. Another 4 when outlook is open for antispam. I'm ditching norton asap. Even avg free is better!

LLXX i wanna see your task manager and services.msc please :)

Task Manager - Processes:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8608/taskmgr6vj.png

Task Manager - Performance:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7959/taskmgr28wm.png

Services:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/82/svcs6un.png

Highly customised install :thumbup

Notice I'm logged in as SYSTEM by default B)

Edited by LLXX

You make me feel like my Windows is really bloated. Hmmm. I think I need less services. I have nearly a whole page of running services. I also gone up 7 processes since last time. :no:

Keep on a tweakin! :thumbup

LLXX i wanna see your task manager and services.msc please :)

Task Manager - Processes:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8608/taskmgr6vj.png

Task Manager - Performance:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7959/taskmgr28wm.png

Services:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/82/svcs6un.png

Highly customised install :thumbup

Notice I'm logged in as SYSTEM by default B)

how do you log in as system? :yes:

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder....

And, a CLEAN machine is likewise in the eye of the user.

It's bloated and slow.......but what good's a computer if you can't have the stuff you want running, running?

Having the stuff (running)you either want or need usually isn't as much of the problem as those things that are running in the background that you know nothing about.

I clean up peoples computers for a living, using a process that I've developed over the past ten years.

Most folks have no clue what is running on their PC's, what it does or where it came from.

I choke, gag and get a little bit sick when someone posts a HJT log and the RUN list won't even fit on my 19" screen, without scrolling.

All too many programs that you install on your PC, like Adobe Reader, want to install a TSR in your task mangler. Every time you install something new, you need to run "MSCONFIG" and see if something new has been added to your Startup list. That list should indeed reflect the things you need, but not the things that you DON'T need.

It's a well known fact with the technical community that many Symantec products, like Norton Suites, are huge system resource hogs, running upto a half dozen app's at one time.

That's the first thing I de-install when doing a computer tune-up. I replace it with AVG free and gain ram and HD space, system performance and a much better AV program to boot.

Then when you've got your Startup list pared down to its minimum, you need to take a look at the Services that are starting up with Windows. Using some very good ON-Line references I began eliminating services.

My first list was 54 services long. Well, that also disabled my dial up services. :whistle:

So I had to revise it some. ;) My current list of services to disable looks more like this:

Here's my short, short list of services to disable for a stand alone PC, not on a network: From the RUN box, type in Services.msc , then maximize the window to full screen size. Then scroll down the list of services to each item on the following list and right click on an item and then click Properties. In the properties box you can Stop a running service and then set the action box to "Disable". Then Apply the change and OK the window to close it. Move down the list to the next item and repeat the process. When done, close the entire window and reboot your PC.

Clip book

Computer Browser

DNS Client

Error Reporting Service

Messenger

Performance Logs and Alerts

Portable Serial Number

Remote Registry

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Routing and Remote Access

Server (leave this on for a local network)

Smart Card Helper

System Event Notification

Task Scheduler

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Upload Manager

Web Client

Windows time

Wireless Zero Configuration (disable if you will never use a wireless network)

Don't flame me! I already know that someone will look at that list and say "OH, I need that!"

That's fine. This is MY list....you must develope your own, based on how you use your PC.

But just for the record, my PC boots up in 20 sec's and shuts down in 8 sec's.

Then there are several very good registry tweaks that can greatly improve system efficiency, speed up program loading and get a system shutdown DOWN to about 5 to 8 seconds.

One simple registry tweak to get the Kernal up off the HD and into ram, greatly increases system performance.

Memory Performance Tweak

These Settings will fine tune your systems memory management -at least 256MB of ram recommended, 512 preferred for first tweak.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \

Session Manager \ Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive.

2.LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory improves system performance a lot. This tweak can actually slow down a system with less than 256 megs of ram.

Those things I've listed here are just the tip of the iceburg. Even though all my tweaks and tuning are done with batch files and VBScripts, it still takes several hours to completely clean, tweak and tune the average PC. Then there's the installation of all the AV and AS software, downloading the latest updates and doing the scans. Depending on the speed of the PC and the speed of the internet connection, this can take quite a while. A total time of four to five hours is not uncommon.

I recently installed a new HP laptop. It took a half hour to just get rid of Norton and all the Spyware that HP puts on their new PC's......like WildTangent.

When you decide to become a computer tech,,,,,bring your gun! It's a jungle out there! :D

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Andromeda43 B)