Delete

bcerhart

• 1 month later...

all the version of foobar above 0.8.3 take twice more memory and work much slower and have bigger libraries, what exctly is better in the new version that makes it worth the 2x memory and 2x slowness ?

as far as I have noticed there are no bugs in 0.8.3

Many things were rewritten, i don't remember all, but there is for example a better support of APE tags in MPC files (they were really slow to update on 0.8.3) ; the "database" is now named "media library" (and is not compatible) ; there's the diskwriter also... and so on...

but i'm with you about the 0.8.3... i'll wait for 1.0 !

++

media library is going to be a system wastage in memory and in speed, the slow ape tag updating is something I can live with especially if I don't do that in the first place with foobar2000 I do that with the professional ape tagger v2.0. I don't see any practical uses to the diskwriter, if I need to convert my .ape files I use monkeys audio in the first place...because it's "probably" (joking ! it IS faster) faster at decoding, and will give a much better signal than any of these methods...

it seems to me that since the old programmer left the project ( the good one who knew what foobar2000 was all about, which I may need to remind you is an audiophile audio player ) the project has taken a new turn to become one of these "conventional" media player trends, audiophiles don't need madia libraries, they know where their files/data is, they don't need disk writer because if they did they would use a professional program that deals with it to convert the data directly, last but not least audiphiles don't need wastage of cpu and memory of their systems they need it to run as fast as possible with as little as possible, I think this new programmer duude is making things too different to create some other player, one which already exists (winamp ?) and has all these crappy features like media library and disk writer, which as I said are only needed for the non-audiophile people, a waste of efforts if I may comment, especially if all of the above already exists, and winamp im sure, does it better than foobar2000 (because foobar2000 was never designed for that, it was designed as I said for something much smaller without heavy database management alrogorithms), I think the new developer wants to make an "another" audio player, which will not be as good as other players (winamp) currently are, not to mention the reinvention of an already existing thing, that developer should quit and start working on soemthing else, could obviously this duude just does not know what he is doing.

and duue one last comment, version numbers never represent anything, they are useless, and in some cases the higher is the version number the worse a program is, did you hear about www.oldversion.com ? why do you think they exist ? why would anyone visit a site which contains old versions of software ? simple and I quote from the site "because new version is not always better"

Edited by monohouse

:blink:

you're true, last time i went on HA.org KS playing mode were not ported to 0.9. i didn't checked .1 nor .2

I'm nor an audiophile, but :

-> i need a library thing. i have tons of music, and it's very well organized, but it's always faster to type in a little keyword than clicking several times to browse folders.

-> the diskwriter contains CLI components to call externals converters. it's meant to have all under a single UI

-> you should post the rest of your suggestions on HA.org (keep in mind that fb2k is "plugin-driven" and that most of the new gadgets you dislike are easy to wipe out)

++

need a hard drive big enough to contain so mutch music that you can't handle with a playlist of .ape files, you're probably one of the people with the new hard drives (250 GB ?).

yes some are deletable, some are not, but if you compare version 0.8.3 (which you can make work with only 3 plugin .dlls : foo_ui_std.dll, foo_out_ks.dll, foo_ape.dll) with version 0.9.x you will find that the minimum number of plugins for minimal running has increased to somewhere around 5 or 6 which would also need to include the new "api plugin" that is required for all 0.9 versions.

I don't know why you like internal file format converters, but I can certainly tell you that if you want a small and fast player for audiophiles, you are not going to bloat, CLI decoding is hardly at all relevant to an audio player, it is an audio converter thing, if you want to convert files you run an audio converter, if you want to play files you run an audio player, maybe the media library has some weight to be implemented, but the price that it costs is just too high, and wasting so many big good things for just one small thing is not a wise decision, you cannot start implementing features without end into an audio player, if only programmers could understand how to stick to what the program is supposed to do, foobar2000 is an audio player, conversion in my opinion is out of an audio player's range, and so is media library, that is what we have directories to sort our information.

the "faster to type a little keyword" is a very cpu-expensive process, it doesn't cost as much to specify a directory where to find a particular file (in a computer sense of corse).

why do you use foobar2000 if you are not an audiophile ? im sure things like winamp would be much more suitable for purposes sutch as "easy" and "convenient" ? you probably know by now that these words don't rhyme with "professional" and "accurate"

Foobar is the best encoder I've ever seen!

Of course, not on its own but it is the best because you can convert fast any format. I would really lack diskwriter.

Also, you should check HA.org, there is a bunch of threads explaining why foobar's memory and CPU usage can be very high and how to solve this.

And foobar's search function is really not CPU-hungry : a friend of mine with a really, really slow computer uses it without problem.

Camarade_Tux, "foobar" is not an encoder. This tread is about foobar2000, which is mostly an audio player (even if it can encode audio files or do DAE of cds, it relies on external plugins).

"foobar" is a word used to mean "whatever you want", like in « create two nested and two parallel folders using mkdir command once : mkdir foobar foo\bar ».

The short for "foobar2000" is "fb2k" and NEVER "foobar", even if it's a very common mistake (strangely "fb2k" is shorter than "foobar"). Like for that "intelligent car" old(ish) tv-serie, K2000 : you could say "K2K" and it would make sense, but saying just "K" will make everyone think about MIB.

:P

monohouse : my HD is the third of that... but i have multiple versions of songs (mainly different interprets) for example and it's handy to get them all by typing the title once. or sometimes i want to get "all songs with lyrics by X". I acheive this with the extended playlist generator on 0.8.3, and i bet the "autoplaylists" of 0.9 would be even easier to use. but i don't want to spend the required time to update my config (lots of formatting made to get correct display of some tags...).

That's nearly impossible to sort all of that using directories, because there is not one hierarchy. My files follows a simple "Genre - Artist - Album" structure on the disk, but this doesn't allow easy navigation for the two queries i talked about : the library get rid of these limits by creating a database which support multidimensional queries (like "i want song by the same interpret as the playing one but with lyrics by X. i know i have plenty, but i don't remember all of them by heart" or "i have added two albums on my drive a week ago, i never heard them, i don't even know the titles, but i want them know and i don't want to search" :D)

I use fb2k because it's light (even with more than 3 plugins), and because it has an "easy-to-forget" interface (exact opposite than winamp's complicated UI with things hidden at every corner : with fb2k, i placed all i need in the context menu, not more, not less).

I don't understand your p.o.v. about the difference between an "audio player" and an "audio converter". If i have the file under my eye, and if i want to convert it, i don't want to launch a secondary app if i could not... CLI acheive this by launching the external converter.

++