APIC Mode

hmaster10

i have lot info about it on google but almost all that i found are contradicting, others says its good to be enabled others don't, others says it is for multi processor and etc..

so i want to know your opinions bout it :) to remove my confusion

If you're an ordinary pc user I would suggest to leave it on, without it, your pc won't be able to get into power saving mode, meaning that for example cpu chip willl run constantly at full load consuming a lot of power, same goes to the rest of the components.

I like to disable it when overclocking, 30% of bugs in a BIOS are bugs with ACPI. Hmm, sorry I can't tell you more, I forgot a lot about ACPI :(

Edited by Kamil

If you're an ordinary pc user I would suggest to leave it on, without it, your pc won't be able to get into power saving mode, meaning that for example cpu chip willl run constantly at full load consuming a lot of power, same goes to the rest of the components.

I like to disable it when overclocking, 30% of bugs in a BIOS are bugs with ACPI. Hmm, sorry I can't tell you more, I forgot a lot about ACPI :(

ic, thanks for the info.

Edited by hmaster10

ACPI and APIC are two completely different things.

ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba.

ACPI establishes industry-standard interfaces for OS-directed configuration and power management on laptops, desktops, and servers.

ACPI evolves the existing collection of power management BIOS code, Advanced Power Management (APM) application programming interfaces (APIs, PNPBIOS APIs, Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) tables and so on into a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification.

The specification enables new power management technology to evolve independently in operating systems and hardware while ensuring that they continue to work together.

APIC is Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller.
The 82093AA I/O Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (I/O APIC) provides multi-processor interrupt management and incorporates both static and dynamic symmetric interrupt distribution across all processors. In systems with multiple I/O subsystems, each subsystem can have its own set of interrupts. Each interrupt pin is individually programmable as either edge or level triggered. The interrupt vector and interrupt steering information can be specified per interrupt. An indirect register accessing scheme optimizes the memory space needed to access the I/O APIC's internal registers. To increase system flexibility when assigning memory space usage, the I/O APIC's two-register memory space is re-locatable.