OS help

bunnboy

i got me a new motherboard and i forgot that i don't have a os disk, is there anyway to reinstall my os for my new motherboard? i have 2002 xp media center edition sp2

and i have a I386 file

If you have a legitimate key, you can use any Media Center install disc. This would be one of the few times that I would recommend either borrowing a friend's disc if available or even getting it through bittorrent/usenet. The main difference being that you use your own legal key. You should have no problem reinstalling and hopefully activating Windows. The main exception being that many times, when replacing something as major as a motherboard, Windows will not always reactivate and will require that dreaded call to Microsoft.

Good luck!!

If you have a legitimate key, you can use any Media Center install disc. This would be one of the few times that I would recommend either borrowing a friend's disc if available or even getting it through bittorrent/usenet. The main difference being that you use your own legal key. You should have no problem reinstalling and hopefully activating Windows. The main exception being that many times, when replacing something as major as a motherboard, Windows will not always reactivate and will require that dreaded call to Microsoft.

Good luck!!

i don't know anybody with a disk, but would this work? Here

i have a key but something bothers me, in "system" it says my os is 2002 and on my case it says 2005 above my key.

Edited by bunnboy

If you have a complete /i386 directory and a working PC with burner you can most probably re-create an install CD.

Read here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16381

jaclaz

i know of the PE Builder thing but it did not work for me, can someone just give me something step by step, and sorry for posting that link i didn't know. thx in advance

You should be able to contact microsoft and inform them you have lost/damaged your original cds but have a legal serial number. I have a few friends who have done that in the past and MS have been kind enough to post them new install cds.

Also you really should remove that link to the Isohunt website, it is considered warez and as nakatomi said it could get you ban from the forums.

If you have a complete /i386 directory and a working PC with burner you can most probably re-create an install CD.

Read here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16381

jaclaz

i know of the PE Builder thing but it did not work for me, can someone just give me something step by step, and sorry for posting that link i didn't know. thx in advance

just for the record, that thread is really about re-creating an install CD from an existing HD install directory, not related to BartPE.

jaclaz