[Question] Retarded XP SP1 Notification Icon

Treeman

"Support for Windows XP SP1 ends October 10, 2006."

I think I got this jem downloading the WGA tool the other day. Seems there is no way to turn the **** thing off, it just sits in my system tray. SP2 doesn't work well on this computer. I had so many dcom, perfnet, firewire, and external drive errors that I had to re-format & reinstall.

Doesn't MS realise that they are driving folks away from thier OS?

Even though I don't know anything about Apple computers, it just may be my next one!

Finally Fed Up!

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

There was the initial confusion and driver errors when SP2 first came out, but in the past year, I've never found a computer that either couldn't "handle" SP2 or had problems with it. I even installed it on a PII 450 with 128MB of RAM a couple of months ago. Sure it was a little slow, but no errors, no crashes - nothing out of the ordinary.

Microsoft is not driving people away from the OS. They're telling people that if they want continued support, they should get with the times and update to SP2. There are so many reasons for it, and so very very few against it now.

Have you tried slipstreaming SP2 into your installation source? This (along with RyanVM's packs) is hands down the easiest way to install an up-to-date system with minimal headaches.

:D Thanks Janus,

That worked! Upon exiting from this tweak, I got a screen that said something to the fact that this copy of Windows may not be genuine. (grin) No complaints out of the machine since re-booting; and no notification icon in the sys tray.

"There was the initial confusion and driver errors when SP2 first came out"

Your correct Zxian, what ticked me off was that MS flat out denied there was a problem with the drivers supplied with SP2. Then the hotfixes/patches started coming out. Simple things stopped working; usb keys, video cameras, etc. I have two other computers behind me, both took SP2 without a problem. I won't install SP2 on this computer until one of my raid drives goes South and I have to re-install the OS. It's just not worth the time & frustration if SP2 fails me again. (reformat & reinstall SP1)

"Microsoft is not driving people away from the OS. They're telling people that if they want continued support, they should get with the times and update to SP2."

I'm an oem system builder and if you follow the threads at the OEM TechNet Discussion Groups, you'll see that there still are problems installing drivers during set-up routines.

And what about corporate users that have proprietary applications that can't be upgraded to run on SP2?

I guess they are just SOL after October as well. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it!

Best,

Treeman

:D Thanks Janus,

That worked! Upon exiting from this tweak, I got a screen that said something to the fact that this copy of Windows may not be genuine. (grin) No complaints out of the machine since re-booting; and no notification icon in the sys tray.

your welcome. ^_^

i have also had a hugh number of problems with sp2, so for now i stick with sp1 on my desktop.