Config.sys

Went into Sysedit and found added to Config.sys, does anyone have any ideas where they came from? Fresh install, wupg, usp 2.1a, 98se2ME[latest one posted] TIAFAI

LASTDRIVE=Z [this line has always been there]

These are new

[DOS]

DOS=HIGH,UMB

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\HIMEM.sys/NUMHANDLES=48 /SHADOWRAM:ON /CPULOCK:OFF /TESTMEM:OFF /Q

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\EMM386.exe i=b000-b7ff NOEMS HIGHSCAN RAM D=256 NOBACKFILL AUTO

FILESHIGH=200

BUFFERSHIGH=13,0

STACKSHIGH=32,256

FCBSHIGH=4,0

LASTDRIVEHIGH=Z

SWITCHES=/F/E:768

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS /X

1. You may have had a previous config.sys in C:\ root from a previous M$ OS install [?], even if you "fresh-installed" 98SE OS on a "non-fresh" formatted drive/partition.

2. You are/were using DrvSpace or similar disk compression/doubling tool, and there was a previous config.sys in H:\ root [default uncompressed volume which holds the CVF (Compressed Volume File)].

3. You installed 98SE OS from a custom made CD/DVD/setup and the automated/unattended MSBATCH.INF installer script contained command(s) for a tweaking tool/script [?] to add those lines to your C:\config.sys.

4. After you installed the OS you ran a tweaker/customizer tool/script [?] which added those lines to your config.sys.

That's all I can think of right now.

BTW:

Some of those lines seem to originate from some1's tweaked PC [?] who was running a bunch of old DOS games that used to require an XMS memory manager, large amounts of conventional memory + lots of files in native MS-DOS mode. ;)

HTH

Stranger and stranger :blink: I install the old standard way for now. I do use Xteq tweaker, have been for several yrs, so its rote. My Config.sys has always been: "Lastdrive=Z" and thats all. Don't play any DOS games or anything like that, only one on my puter is me, period. The only thing that I used different this install was WUPG from this forum. I've done mulitple AV/AS/Trojan scans, even online ones too and come up clean. I bkdup my config & wiped the extra off, didn't seem to change anything :) Puzzler it is for sure! Thanks for reply MDGx, I know, maybe I gota GHOST! :o LOL!

Went into Sysedit and found added to Config.sys, does anyone have any ideas where they came from? Fresh install, wupg, usp 2.1a, 98se2ME[latest one posted] TIAFAI

LASTDRIVE=Z [this line has always been there]

These are new

[DOS]

DOS=HIGH,UMB

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\HIMEM.sys/NUMHANDLES=48 /SHADOWRAM:ON /CPULOCK:OFF /TESTMEM:OFF /Q

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\EMM386.exe i=b000-b7ff NOEMS HIGHSCAN RAM D=256 NOBACKFILL AUTO

FILESHIGH=200

BUFFERSHIGH=13,0

STACKSHIGH=32,256

FCBSHIGH=4,0

LASTDRIVEHIGH=Z

SWITCHES=/F/E:768

DEVICEHIGH=%windir%\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS /X

You can delete most of these lines from the CONFIG.SYS file, randiroo76073. All I have on the CONFIG.SYS file on MY old Win98 SE computer is the "DOS=HIGH,UMB" line. Everything else you can remove and your Win98se computer should run fine.

btw - what is WUPG?

Edited by erpdude8

Thnx for info erpdude8, it's appreciated :yes:

btw - what is WUPG?

It's the name of the prgm file I dld from this forum, can't find thread right now :) Quote from readme:

"Upgrade Pack 98 !!!!!!+ © by X-Pachner ®

More than 50 Microsoft Updates for Windows 98 and also for Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1,Windows Media Player 9.0,DirectX 9.0 c under Windows 98.

USB-Mass Storage Device Drivers for Windows 98,Movie Maker 1.0 with 287564 Update,Internet-Games,and many extensions for Windows 98 are also included."

Better, more comprehensive than any MS rollup! :whistle:

Found it: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=72297

Edited by randiroo76073