Why run installer everytime?

ReDucTor

I have seen very limited programs which people have suggested installing on one computer then moving program files to $Progs and other files to $Docs, why is this method not used? Is there something wrong with it?

Fair enough its going to require a fair bit of work getting all the right files from $progs and $docs, and also alot of work monitoring which files go where.

But with the use of tools like Sysinternals filemon and regmon or even finding some way to check out what happens during the install scripts, you should be able to work it out..

Because running this method would increase install time largely

i have to say that you are right...partially.

there are programs that copy a lot of file everywhere, associate extensions, register services, add merge modules, etc that are way too complicated to monitor. so its easier to run installer with silent switches, importing reg files to keep settings and using a cleanup cmd file to move/delete the shortcuts.

i use some programs that doesn requiere any other files that the ones in program file, i use an SFX archive that extracts all the folders to program files and one to extract all those chortcuts in the start menu.

i guess this is the best to do things...

Yes, it does come down to the complexity of the program which you are trying to address, I just wish to find a more effective method, because there is nearly 30min-1hr spent just installing software for the install which I have created, so I'm looking at simplier methods where it is not copying the same thing two or more times

Here are a few programs i install using sfx rar. Basically what you are talking about.

This is a big help with Nero. I can install it with out all the extra garbage i don't want.

EAC

foobar2000

Gaim

GoldWave

Nero

Opera

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Vim

WinRAR

The reason i use a rar file is for space saving but still these install much faster than standard.

some people use 7-zip but to much work to update and work with.

I use this method all time but put everything in one big sfx and works beautifully. I try to stay away from apps that need installation although I have a few that need it and I don't mind that. I don't use reg files except for Registration Info and Tweaks.

Apps I install using this method:

Audio Editor Gold, CCleaner, ConvertXToDVD, DVD Region+CSS Free, Exact Audio Copy, Frostwire, jv16 PowerTools 2006, Kega Fusion (Emulator), MagicISO, MP3Gain, nLite, Openoffice, Opera, PC Wizard, Project64 (Emulator), Registry Workshop, RyanVM Integrator, Tag&Rename, WinHex, WinRAR, ZSNES (Emulator), DirectShow Filter Manager, Media Player Classic, uTorrent, XN Resource Editor, Codecs (MSFN Codec Pack) and more to come.

Edited by 1chaoticadult

A long time ago I decided my uA has to be on a CD, not DVD. This way I could use it for every PC.

But space on a CD is limited.

I then decided, ALL software that doesn't need an installer, I simply add to a 7zip (Ultra, Solid) file.

The 7zip file is now around 50-60MB in size and extracted it would be around 200 MB.

It contains 3 folders:

Program Files

Windows (wich contains System32, Resources (for additional Themes).

Documents and Settings (wich contains all users\start menu, my complete start menu the way I want).

I call it SYSTEMDRIVE.7z, because it gets extracted to %SYSTEMDRIVE%.

I have 7za.exe in the $$ (or whatever the name is for SYSTEM32) folder, and with this I extract the 7z file (almost at the end of my RunOnceEx --> because it also contains some .INI files, like Winamp.ini the settings for Winamp, so I want Winamp to be installed already).

The SYSTEMDRIVE.7z contains A LOT of apps: EAC, Lame MP3 encoder, Ogg Vorbis encoder, FLAC encoder, several Windows Themes, a few screensavers from visualxp.net, Kaspersky settings file, DVDfab Decrypter, Avisynth, DVD-Rebuilder, iColorFolder, Foxit Reader and a lot more I can't think of right now.

I can advise it to anyone :)

The nice thing is, it speeds up your uA install! Since it simply extracts everything immediately to its location. Instead of running 20 installers, each one has to extract some files first etc.

Ofcourse if space is not an option you could use the $oem$ folder instead of a 7z file.

:hello: ZileXa

What you have described in your post sounds exactly like what I am wanitng to do with my unattended install! Any chance you could write up a quick guide on how you achieve some of these things? I am particularly interested in how you have this setup/scripted:

I then decided, ALL software that doesn't need an installer, I simply add to a 7zip (Ultra, Solid) file.

The 7zip file is now around 50-60MB in size and extracted it would be around 200 MB.

It contains 3 folders:

Program Files

Windows (wich contains System32, Resources (for additional Themes).

Documents and Settings (wich contains all users\start menu, my complete start menu the way I want).

I call it SYSTEMDRIVE.7z, because it gets extracted to %SYSTEMDRIVE%.

I have 7za.exe in the $$ (or whatever the name is for SYSTEM32) folder, and with this I extract the 7z file (almost at the end of my RunOnceEx --> because it also contains some .INI files, like Winamp.ini the settings for Winamp, so I want Winamp to be installed already).

any assistance would be greatly appreciated :yes:

• [1]Download
7-zip command-line version and place it in the folder $OEM$\$$\system32\7za.exe
[2]Create a 7z archive of all the files & folders you need, make sure they appear in the 7z file the same way they should appear on your harddisk (known as %systemdrive%, partition where windows is installed, so normally %systemdrive%= C:\)
For example, create these folders somewhere:
Program Files\
Windows\System32\
Windows\Resources\
Windows\Media\
Documents and Settings\

• In Program Files: you put all the things you need, I have:
    AviSynth, DVDFab Decrypter, DVD-ReBuilder, Exact Audio Copy, Foxit PDF Reader, iColorFolder, LClock, Media Player Classic, Mozilla Firefox*, MSN Messenger*, Nvu**, uTorrent, Winamp*, XnView.
  • In Windows\System32: I have lots of things, avisynth.dll, devil.dll (if you would install avisynth, the installer places these 2 files in this dir), Flac/mp3/ogg encoders, ShutdownTimer.exe, TweakUI.exe, CDIMAGE.exe etc.
  • in Resources: Themes folder with themes, XpizeSettings.exe, YzShadow folder containing files, dito for YzToolbar etc.
  • in Windows\Media the Windows Vista sounds.

[3] Select the folders, right click and select "add to archive" (7zip). Check "Create Solid archive" and set it to Ultra (if you don't have at least 512MB RAM select Maximum).

Call this 7z archive: SYSTEMDRIVE.7z (since it will be extracted to %SYSTEMDRIVE%).

[4] Add this line to your RunOnceEx, I recommend almost at the end, so it will overwrite files if needed. Check my order of things:

REG ADD %KEY%\034 /VE /D "Various Programs and Settings" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\034 /V 1 /D "HIDE.EXE /w "%CDDRIVE%AfterInstall\cleanup.cmd"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\034 /V 2 /D "HIDE.EXE /w "%CDDRIVE%InstallApps\Installsettings\install-systemdrive.cmd"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\034 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDDRIVE%AfterInstall\aftertweaks.reg" /f

install-systemdrive.cmd:

@echo off
for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\win51ip.SP2 set CDDRIVE=%%i:\

7za.exe x %cddrive%\InstallApps\systemdrive.7z -aoa -y -o%systemdrive%\

For some reason, if I put this command directly in the RunOnceEx, it doesn't work, thats why I use this CMD batchfile.

-aoa overwrites all files, always. -y supresses prompts.

*: These folders contain files containing custom settins, like Winamp.ini & Winamp skin & plugins.

Firefox folder contains my own custom default profile & searchplugins & plugins(with Flash & Shockwave pluginfiles) folder.

**Nvu is a standard part of my uA.

Edited by ZileXa

Guess one needs to sum up whats simpler or cleaner in the process of installing those apps.

just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

MC.

I don't really understand what you are writing..

But you say an SFX is more simple, well actually that is in principle the same as what I am describing!

an SFX also means 1 big archive with all your apps/files that don't require an installer.

But instead of creating an SFX, I simply create a 7z file. since the file to extract 7z (or rar or zip) files is already in my System32 folder, and the command to extract the 7z, always overwriting other files, is already in RunOnceEx.

Means I only have to update the .7z file if needed.

Also the other advantage: I set it to overwrite files, no matter what. You can't really do this with a 7z SFX. Perhaps with Zip or RAR, but that means less compression = more space on your CD/DVD.

If you would take 60 seconds to read the post, you see how simple it is, the only minor difference compared to a 7z SFX is step 4!

(and the 7za.exe file in system32 folder).

Guess one needs to sum up whats simpler or cleaner in the process of installing those apps.

just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

MC.

I don't really understand what you are writing..

But you say an SFX is more simple, well actually that is in principle the same as what I am describing!

an SFX also means 1 big archive with all your apps/files that don't require an installer.

But instead of creating an SFX, I simply create a 7z file. since the file to extract 7z (or rar or zip) files is already in my System32 folder, and the command to extract the 7z, always overwriting other files, is already in RunOnceEx.

Means I only have to update the .7z file if needed.

Also the other advantage: I set it to overwrite files, no matter what. You can't really do this with a 7z SFX. Perhaps with Zip or RAR, but that means less compression = more space on your CD/DVD.

If you would take 60 seconds to read the post, you see how simple it is, the only minor difference compared to a 7z SFX is step 4!

(and the 7za.exe file in system32 folder).

It was simply a general response to post no1 & not related to your post above, must say nice tute ya produced there tho.

Cheers

MC.