Any Advice Appreciated

Steerforth

The only guy I know has a laptop with a satellite connection, but he's vacationing now. I'll talk to him when he returns.

But......everything is working well. Yesterday, I changed the proxy server in IE Options to the one that was automatically operating with the Hide IP program. Now, everything works without activating the program! I may not even buy another CPU for the time being.

Telnor has the market for telecommunications in Mexico. Even if I went to one of the other ISP's, their system would run through Telnor, so I don't know if it would make a difference.

Somebody said it might be the software installed, and I tend to agree. This thing has been screwy since I bought it last December. I'm not that knowledgable, but I think the system was pieced together. I believe it's a hybrid of Windows XP with Windows 98 installed. The case has Windows ME stamped on the side, but I get plenty of references to Windows XP. Don't know if this makes sense.

I'll be away for a few days, now. See you all later, and thanks very much for all your help. You're a great group!

Steerforth

Got back this morning with a Compaq CPU, keyboard and mouse. Hooked it up this afternoon; I had a small snag installing Telnor's DSL program, but in the end I finally connected and accessed both my Citbank and Hotmail accounts immediately!

Windows XP. Seems to be working well so far.

Ah, yes! Another one bites the dust.........

But thanks for waking me up for a week or so :wacko:

Steerforth

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a blocked cookie or website... check your browser prefs...

If I had that problem, I'd download a fresh browser, uninstall the old one, and do a find and regedit, seek and destroy of everything to do with that browser... then I'd run my registry cleaners, and bug cleaners, and restart before installing the new download... I save my browser download on the desktop for this purpose.. and sometimes, when I'm leaving the PC for several hours, I click to download the newest download of that browser, to maintain the download file fresh...

Edited by KingAuther

I hate to think all that effort has been wasted, but the problem sounds so much like what happened to me earlier this year. Suddenly one evening I was unable to access a site that I have visited every day for years! I was aghast--no, I said, it can't be gone!

Well, it wasn't, but I couldn't touch it with a ten-foot modem (pardon my figure of speech). I could access cached pages through search engines. I e-mailed the site owner, who said that nothing had been changed. I asked my ISP if there was any IP blocking going on--nope. I searched for possible solutions, tried proxies, blablabla.

Finally, after a few months of deprivation, I clicked on the dear old link and POW! There it was. Out of the blue either way, I have no explanation for why it all happened.

All I can say is...Internet happens :wacko: