Any Advice Appreciated

Steerforth

Sorry. As I said, I'm not that computer literate, but I've never encountered a problem like this before.

The results I get are the same as yours, except mine says C:\WINDOWS\Desktop

Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Steerforth

Sorry. As I said, I'm not that computer literate, but I've never encountered a problem like this before.

The results I get are the same as yours, except mine says C:\WINDOWS\Desktop

Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Steerforth

very odd. unfortunatly you cant tell from that if its working or not, but it did show an ip address right next to the url, so it doesnt seem to be a dns problem.

are you useing the newest version of firefox? (click help, about firefox...) should be 1.5.0.3. if not, try upgradeing: http://www.mozilla.com

like someone else said, its not your computer thats at fault. (well, it is, but its not a problem caused by windows 98 or your hardware, meaning it can be fixed without replaceing anything)

Edited by janus zeal

Lets try one more test.

Connection to citibank.com via a proxy.

-Use Firefox.

-Go in the menu: Tools, Options, General, Connection Settings and select: Manual Connection to a Proxy

-You will now be able to enter text in the fields below; the only field we're interested in is: HTTP Proxy or Proxy HTTP (remember i'm using a french version)

-In the field listed Proxy HTTP enter: 201.0.4.148

-In the field listed Port enter: 80

-Try to access Citibank in your usual way.

I will explain in detail what Petr wants you to try.

-Copy the following text: command /k ping citibank.com

-Click on the START button on the lower left of the screen.

-Go in the RUN menu.

-Paste the text in the box; if there is already some text in this box make sure to delete it first.

-Hit OK

-Make a note of the information that appears on screen.

-When done, type the following: exit

-Hit ENTER.

-Report your findings on this board.

Countach

I can go to the local Internet cafe about a mile away and access the site with no problem. I only just installed Firefox last week on the advice of another, so it's the latest version.

I'm puzzled why this should happen *overnight*. Last Friday night I did some Internet banking; on Saturday morning the problem started.

I'm a little suspicious of the guy who last worked on it. I tried to install a video camera, and everything froze up. He re-installed Windows, so I lost everything. This was about a week before the problem started.

I live in Mexico, just a few miles south of the border, and we have to be very careful about everything. Could he have caused the problem remotely?

Steerforth

Use Firefox.

-Go in the menu: Tools, Options, General, Connection Settings and select: Manual Connection to a Proxy

-You will now be able to enter text in the fields below; the only field we're interested in is: HTTP Proxy or Proxy HTTP (remember i'm using a french version)

-In the field listed Proxy HTTP enter: 201.0.4.148

-In the field listed Port enter: 80

GOT IT!!!!

Thanks! What happened?

Steerforth

I spoke too soon!

I can now access the citibank.com web page, but when I try to access the sign in page (or any other link) the same thing happens: it times out.

I have bookmarked the webpage on Firefox and can access it readily, but I can't go any further.

Steerforth

you can access the site through a proxy, the resion you cant sign is is probly because the proxy doesnt support ssl (encryption).

yes, he could have caused it remotely, but i doubt it. (a remote control program like realvnc or something could have been installed easly.) if you have the windows 98 cd i would do a upgrade install from inside windows. put the cd in and install windows normally while windows is already running, it will leave all your stuff intact but will restore any windows files with the original copy.

Edited by janus zeal

Unfortunately, I don't have the Windows 98 disk, and it doesn't make any sense to buy one at this stage. I'm just going to buy another PC.

I'm just concerned about security (and my money!). I keep checking my bank balances at the ATM nearby, and also I can access my account at the Internet cafe, which isn't too far away. Everything is normal so far.

Steerforth

you might want to change your citibank password, and make sure you look for any unauthorized charges. i dont think he is remotely messing with you, but better safe then sorry.

one more thing you might want to try is looking in c:\windows\options\cabs\ for the windows install files.

Edited by janus zeal

Follow-up

-This proxy: 201.0.4.148 supports HTTPS. I just used it to connect securely to my Yahoo account.

-I do not want to alarm you but it is not a wise decision to do financial transactions in an Internet Café. You have no control over the computer you are using in these places. Keylogger and Packet sniffer may be on these networks collecting every keystroke (Citibank login/password) and web page you navigate to.

-You may want to try other proxies.

-Replace the xx in hxxp below to http

hxxp://www.proxy4free.com/page2.html

Programs running in the background may interfere with your internet connection.

-Click on the START button on the lower left of the screen.

-Go in the RUN menu.

-Type the following: MSCONFIG

-Hit ENTER

-Go in the START-UP tab; it's the last one after Win.ini

-Uncheck everything.

-Hit OK

-Restart the computer.

-Upon re-entering Windows you will be greeted with a message from MSCONFIG basically telling you that you have now started the computer in a selective fashion.

Note:

This is a temporary measure to see if some background applications are causing you problems. It does not uninstall any application, it is not destructive in any way; it only prevents some programs to load. You should still be able to connect to the internet unless some of the programs we've just unchecked are necessary...it's a possibility. If you're using an anti-virus software it will probably not be functional. If you still cannot connect to citibank reliably then restart MSCONFIG and this time CHECK all the boxes and restart your computer.

Countach

I'm there, but I don't think I want to uncheck everything. I know you say that it's safe, but it seems to me if I uncheck tango manager for my DSL connection , I won't be able to reconnect to the Internet. I've crashed computers in the past by doing stupid stuff! I'm in Mexico, and this is my link to the outside world!

As far as the Internet cafe goes, it's a small town, and I know the folks who own it. I've never heard of any problems.

I'm just going to buy a new one - or a CPU next week when I cross the border.

Steerforth

I tried your suggestion last night and also just now. This was the result for both:

We can't find "Unknown host www.citibank.com"

You can try again by typing the URL in the address bar above.

Or, search the Web:

Go to MSN Search to see complete results for "Unknown host www.citibank.com".

Popular Searches

Check availability or register the domain name 'Unknown host www.citibank.com'.

I also followed the instructions of the post before yours, and nothing changed.

I tried 192.193.226.190 and a few others with the same results.

Steerforth

The ping command has to be started from the command line and not from the address line in IE or Firefox, exaxctly as janus zeal wrote. I'm sorry that I have not expressed it clearly.

Entering 192.193.226.190 instead of www.citibank.com to the address line cannot work beacuse it is redirected immediately to http://www.citibank.com/index.htm. But still - if you enter 192.193.226.190 to the address line, what error message you receive? I can imagine two possibilities:

1. 192.193.226.190 will remain in the address bar and you will receive some sort of timeout error, or

2. The address in the address bar changes automatically to http://www.citibank.com/index.htm and then you will receive DNS or server not found error.

In case 1 you have no IP connectivity to www.citibank.com, in the second case you are not able to resolve www.citibank.com.

Petr

just make a new line and add

192.193.226.190 www.citibank.com

you will have to close all browser windows for the change to take effect.

make sure the file is called "hosts" not "hosts.sam" if it is hosts.sam then do this

open notepad

copy and paste:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.193.226.190 www.citibank.com

click file, save as...

type (with quotes) in the file name area:

"c:\windows\hosts"

and then do it again for

"c:\windows\system\hosts"