Any Advice Appreciated

Steerforth

I'm operating Windows 98 SE on an old system. Last Saturday morning for no apparent reason, I was unable to access citibank.com, which has been my bank for several years. I have never had trouble before accessing them online to do my banking.

I get the page that says, "Not Available...etc.*

I checked with my bank, and it's not a problem there. I also checked with my ISP, and the guy told me that I would probably have to re-install Windows.

I have downloaded and run every conceivable cleaner, anti-virus scan and anything else I could find, and this has not solved the problem.

I can go to the Internet cafe, close by, and I can access my account. I can access Citibank.com in India, Thailand and many other countries, but NOT the U.S.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steerforth

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steerforth

Please advise:

1. What browser do you use? Internet Explerer? Firefox? Opera? What version?

2. What URL you are trying to access? http://www.citibank.com/us/d.htm ? Or My Citi at https://web.da-us.citibank.com/cgi-bin/citifi/portal/l/l.do ? Or other?

3. What is the error message exactly?

Without this basic information nobody can help you I think.

Petr

Edited by Petr

I've tried both IE and Firefox. Same thing.......

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.

If you would like Windows to try and discover them,

click Detect Network Settings

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.

If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

I've tried both URLs you mentioned and many others. As I said, I can even access citibank.com in many foreign lands, but not the U.S.

Steerforth

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

Here it is written clearly - the domain name cannot be translated to the IP address. But what URL you are trying to access? This is the essential information you have not provided yet!

I've tried both URLs you mentioned and many others.
And what was the result?
As I said, I can even access citibank.com in many foreign lands, but not the U.S.

So what website you are not able to access?

Petr

Edited by Petr

Go to Google and search on Citibank. Every URL, including the two you mentioned, gives me the same result: the webpage I copied and pasted.

I've gone through page after page of Google searches with the same result: the page I posted.

I've accessed websites dealing with student loans, for instance, with no problem, but when I click on the citibank link, I get the same result.

It seems to only occur when I'm trying to access the U.S. site.

I accessed it on Friday and did some online banking; the problem started the morning after.

I don't know aht else to tell you or how to make it clearer.

Thanks!

Steerforth

I accessed it on Friday and did some online banking; the problem started the morning after.

I'm sorry but it was not clearly written.

OK, so now you can verify that the error is in DNS.

Try to enter the command

ping www.citibank.com

If the result is

Pinging www.citibank.com [192.193.226.190] with 32 bytes of data

then everyting is fine.

If the result is

Unknown host www.citibank.com

then you have problem with DNS.

Then you should check your DNS server(s) settings - either there will be wrong servers or these servers will not be operational. Verify with your ISP that your DNS setting is correct.

Because of DDOS attacks using open recursive DNS servers many DNS servers restricted the functionality to some domains / IP addresses only.

Petr

Thanks for the information, but I'm just not that computer savvy to tackle something like this. I think you're right in your diagnosis; I found this while I was searching......

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=265847

It's an old computer that I bought when my laptop was stolen, and it's caused me a considerable number of problems. I had Windows re-installed about a week before this problem started, and I don't want to take it back to the same repair shop, because I think they solve one problem and create another.

I had made my mind up to buy a new one, but I was trying to make this work for a while longer.

Thanks again!

Steerforth

You may want to try the following:

1-DNS Problem

Start your browser.

Do not type: www.citibank.com

Instead type: 192.193.217.120

2-HOSTS file problem

-Close your browser.

-Rename the following file: Hosts

(It's located in your C:\WINDOWS directory)

-To something like: Host

-Start your browser.

-Try to access Citibank in your usual way.

3-Browser Proxy settings

-I will be using Firefox as an example.

-Go in the menu: Tools, Options, General, Connection Settings and choose: Direct Connection to Internet

(I'm using a french version of Firefox so the above wording may not be totally exact but should be close enough)

-Try to access Citibank in your usual way.

There could be other reasons:

-All in one type of security software installed on your computer preventing you from accessing certain sites.

-Restrictive Router settings etc.

-Spyware, virus etc.

Countach

Edited by Countach69

I'm having a similar albeit not exactely identical problem right now with my w98 platform (typing with the XP laptop at the moment, what a shame!): could access some webpages but not others.

The telecom (my DSL provider) team showed up at my place and checked both computers: th problem is in the w98 PC (proof it works perfectly with the XP laptop).

It doesn't mean it's your PC. Just try to reach citibank from another computer, preferably from your home or from somebody in the neighborhood.

I also tried everything and will reformat my HD as soon as I'm ready because no reinstall or upgrade work.

Make sure your security certificates [Verisign] + SSL files are up to date:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#VSF

and:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#RCF

You may also need the latest "Crypto" [sSL] files:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#HEP

Some secure web pages ["https://" servers] work only if these certificates + files are current.

Also, make sure your MS IE is "domestic" [uS + Canada] SSL encryption grade, which is 128-bit, not "export" [all other countries] 64 or 54 or 48 - bit.

Open Internet Explorer -> Help -> About Internet Explorer -> make sure it says 128-bit.

This can be fixed by installing the "Crypto" files above.

And make sure your:

- %windir%\HOSTS file

- firewall/router/IP blocker/port blocker/etc

- antispyware/antivirus/system protection tools/etc

do not ban/exclude any of the IP domains/servers you need to access.

IMHO:

If your computer can access the internet, there is nothing wrong with it, except that you need a few updates [like the 1s listed above] to make it work properly with certain web sites. ;)

HTH

Steerforth, have you tried the ping command I have asked you for? What was the result?

"Pinging www.citibank.com [192.193.226.190]" or "Unknown host www.citibank.com"?

Please do this basic test if you need any help.

This test will verify whether address translation works or not.

Petr

I tried your suggestion last night and also just now. This was the result for both:

We can't find "Unknown host www.citibank.com"

You can try again by typing the URL in the address bar above.

Or, search the Web:

Go to MSN Search to see complete results for "Unknown host www.citibank.com".

Popular Searches

Check availability or register the domain name 'Unknown host www.citibank.com'.

I also followed the instructions of the post before yours, and nothing changed.

I tried 192.193.226.190 and a few others with the same results.

Steerforth

they were not asking you to type the in IE or firefox

click start, run, type command

in the box that pops up type

ping www.citibank.com

after that type

ping 192.193.217.120

then post your results.

(the ping should fail with a "request timed out")

screenshot:

untitled0pu.png

it says request timed out because citibank has blocked pings, but the fact that it shows the site's ip means it can find it.\

(and i know it says windows xp, but it will work the same in windows 98)

Edited by janus zeal