And instruction for the pre gui drivers setup

To preinstall a mass-storage device

In the \$OEM$ subfolder of the configuration set, create the \Textmode subfolder.

Copy the files from the disks supplied by the device vendor to the \Textmode subfolder. These files normally include:

Driver.sys

Driver.dll

Driver.inf

Driver.cat

Txtsetup.oem

where Driver is the driver name.

Notes

You must also copy the driver files to the location you specified in the OemPnPDriversPath entry in the answer file(s). For example:

OemPnPDriversPath = drivers\storage

Some drivers, such as SCSI miniport drivers, may not include a .dll file.

A catalog file (Driver.cat) must be included with mass-storage device drivers if it is listed in Txtsetup.oem.

For more information about catalog files, see Using Signed Drivers. Also see the Microsoft Windows Driver Development Kit (DDK), which you can read in the MSDN Library (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/): Select Windows Development, and then select Driver Development Kit.

In the Unattend.txt file, create a [MassStorageDrivers] section, and then type any driver entries in that section. For example, a possible entry in the [MassStorageDrivers] section is:

"Adaptec 2940..." = "OEM"

Obtain the information for this section from the [sCSI] section of the Txtsetup.oem file provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Note

You must use signed drivers. Unsigned drivers are not installed during an unattended installation.

In the Unattend.txt file, create an [OEMBootFiles] section, and in it type a list of the files in the \$OEM$\Textmode folder. For example:

[OEMBootFiles]

Driver.sys

Driver.dll

Driver.inf

Driver.cat

Txtsetup.oem

where Driver is the driver name.

Important

Add driver entries only to the [MassStorageDrivers] and [OEMBootFiles] sections for bootable mass-storage devices. Do not include secondary mass-storage devices. Instead, add the drivers for secondary mass-storage devices to the folder specified by the OemPnPDriversPath entry in your unattended Setup answer file. Including drivers for non-bootable mass-storage devices in the [MassStorageDrivers] or [OEMBootFiles] sections causes an error during Setup.

If your mass-storage device is a Plug and Play device, verify that a Hardware Identification section and the name of the catalog file for the driver (Driver.cat) exist in the Txtsetup.oem file. For more information, see the Microsoft Windows Driver Development Kit in the MSDN Library (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/): Select Windows Development, and then select Driver Development Kit.

If the Hardware Identification section does not exist, you must add [HardwareIds.scsi.yyyyy] to the Txtsetup.oem file and verify that the following information is included:

id = "xxxxx" , "yyyyy"

where xxxxx represents the device ID, and yyyyy represents the service associated with the device.

For example, to preinstall the Symc810 driver, which has a device ID of PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0001, verify that your Txtsetup.oem file contains the following additional section:

[HardwareIds.scsi.symc810]

id = "PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0001","symc810"

You must remove drive and path references from Txtsetup.oem. For example, instead of this text, use the NTFS or FAT32 examples that follow:

[disks]

d1 = "Windows XP Driver Set v1.00", \w2kdsk1, \win2000\smy810\

For NTFS installations, use this text:

[disks]

d1 = "Windows XP Driver Set v1.00", \w2kdsk1, \

Note the trailing slash at the end of the line.

For FAT32 installations, use this text:

[disks]

d1 = "Windows XP Driver Set v1.00", w2kdsk1, .

Note the lack of a backslash; also note the trailing period at the end of the line.

Note

The MSDInst.exe tool enables you to add mass-storage device drivers to an offline image. For details, see the white paper entitled Using the Mass Storage Device Installation Tool (MSDInst.exe) on the Windows OPK CD.

Selecting and Loading the Correct Mass-Storage Driver

If you are including new or updated drivers for mass-storage devices, you must add the new driver to both of these folders:

\$OEM$\Textmode

The location specified in the OemPnPDriversPath entry in the Unattend.txt file.

For example: \$OEM$\$1\Pnpdrvrs\storage

Loading Mass-Storage Drivers During Text-mode Setup

If the driver for the mass-storage device is included with Windows XP, the Windows XP driver is chosen before any drivers in \$OEM$\Textmode.

However, the driver you place in \$OEM$\Textmode is the first driver chosen during text-mode Setup only if:

The driver that ships with Windows XP does not boot.

The driver does not ship with Windows XP.

Loading Mass-Storage Drivers During GUI-Mode Setup

Windows XP loads an updated or new driver during GUI-mode Setup if the following criteria are met.

If you are loading an updated mass-storage device driver for one that ships with Windows XP:

The correct mass-storage driver is provided in the location specified by OemPnPDriversPath.

The driver is signed and is a more recent version than the one provided with Windows XP.

If you are loading a new mass-storage device driver that did not ship with Windows XP:

The driver is new (not included with Windows XP), signed, and installs properly during text-mode Setup.

For information about how Windows chooses the best driver during Plug and Play detection, see How Windows Selects a Particular Device Driver.

• 3 weeks later...

this is a very important thread. Nice info posted here.

It would be perfect if people could also post their WORKING Winnt.sif / TextSetup.oem files (and file structures) here so people don't have to always 'guess' how to do it.

I'm trying to get my HighPoint 374 SATA drivers to work with my ABit Max2 mobo. The floppy drivers work perfectly - just not when i try this method.

So exact examples would be wicked, if anyone can post some....

P.S: I don't like hacking the textsetup.sif method - it's just too hacky for my liking. This [MassStorageDrivers] method was made for a reason - and this should be it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was never able to get this working with multiple different driver sets. I do however have it working with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif. It is also much easier to setup this way and does not require as much work as the txtsetup.oem file does. Especially considering I have implimented all the current ide and sata raid drivers I could find.

First of all thanks for the guide.

I'm not sure if you have got this to work, I tried it, but I'm getting an error message and was hoping someone could help me with it.

(txtsetup.oem caused an error (18) at line 1742 in D:\xpsp1 ase\setup\oemdisk.c. Press Any Key to Continue)

I will paste the lines that I think are important so you guys can take a look at them if you have a chance.

this is my txtsetup.oem file:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#

# TXTSETUP.OEM for HPT374 ATA RAID Controller

#

[Disks]

d1 = "HPT374 UDMA/ATA133 RAID Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \

[Defaults]

scsi = hpt3742XP

[scsi]

hpt374XP = "HPT374 UDMA/ATA133 RAID Controller for WinXP", hpt374

[Files.scsi.hpt374XP]

driver = d4, hpt374.sys, hpt374

driver = d4, hptpro.sys, hpt374

inf = d4, hpt374.inf, hpt374

catalog= d4, hpt374.cat

[Config.hpt374XP]

value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

value = "Parameters\PnpInterface", 5, REG_DWORD, 1

[HardwareIds.scsi.hpt374XP]

id = "PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0008","hpt374"

This is part of my winnt.sif file:

-----------------------------------------

[OEMBootFiles]

hpt374.sys

hpt374.inf

hpt374.cat

hptpro.sys

TXTSETUP.OEM

[MassStorageDrivers]

"HPT374 UDMA/ATA133 RAID Controller for WinXP"="OEM"

I have placed the following files:

hpt374.sys

hpt374.inf

hpt374.cat

hptpro.sys

TXTSETUP.OEM

in these 2 directories:

cd:\$OEM$\Textmode

cd:\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Storage

I hope I posted everything thats important in troubleshooting this, if not feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks

I was never able to get this working with multiple different driver sets. I do however have it working with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif. It is also much easier to setup this way and does not require as much work as the txtsetup.oem file does. Especially considering I have implimented all the current ide and sata raid drivers I could find.

Hey webmedic, can you please give me some info on how to get it to work using the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif files you mentioned above?

Thanks

here in this thread

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=8363

I've done it all for you. I've also tested it on shutle, gigabyte, epox, aopen, and soltek motherboards with built in raid.

I installed windows directly to a serial ata maxtor drive on the aopen board and also on the shuttle i have installed it to an actual raid array using a high point raid controler.

For the other motherboards I jsut tired it as a hard drive controler.

If anybody has any others they would like added to it then let me know. I can add them pretty easily.

I read that thread before posting. I was just wondering if someone knew what is causing the error. I already have everything done (SP1a, hotfixes, various drivers & apps, OfficexP). I really dont want to repeat the process by using the thread you posted.

I figured since Abulon got the same error as me then reported that he fixed, he would share the fix.

ok have it your way. You will waste allot of cd's and hours. I tired it that way first. After many days of tinkering I gave up and did it this way. this way simply works and is expandable. And for the most part is the correct way to do it.

I'm not trying to say I have to do it this way. I'm just saying, since I've come this far and this being an error that seems like one of those things thats turns out to be simple, why not try to solve it. I have no problem with trial and error. And I'm using the same DVD+RW over and over, so I'm not wasting any media :).

Oh man only if. I searched for answer to that all over and found none. What i did find in many palces was the solution i used. I got tired of working on it for days and then i tired this and it simply worked and was easy to do also.

As for the dvd thing. That must be nice. I split my install up into 2 cd's and have wasted about 50 trying ot get this to all work.