[Help] Remote desktop on my lan with a domain laptop?

graysky

Finally got IT to assign me local admin rights on my laptop. The whole reason I made the request was so I could use the remote desktop feature on my laptop from my other machine at home. Long story short, I can't connect the to laptop at all, not even a ping!

Lan setup: cable modem --> router --> machines. The laptop gets an IP from the router (DHCP) and I can access the router from the laptop. I cannot however ping my router from my laptop nor can I ping my laptop from any other machine behind the router. Does this have something to do with the fact that the laptop is configured to be on a domain? If so, is there anyway I can do this without a major config. change? I should say that I use my corporate VPN from home so I don't want to lose that ability.

Thanks all!

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

So at your enterprise you have a VPN server and at home you use a VPN client. The connection allow to access one computer or all the local network of your enterprise ? btw, How do you check the vpn connection ?

Are you trying to connect from home to work, or from work to home or what? I'm confused?

But no, my Laptop is on a Domain (which I'm the admin of) at work and when I'm at home on our DSL I can connect into my work machines just fine. I don't even have to use my VPN, but I have public IP's on all of them.

If you're going from work back to home, your home router probably doesn't know to pass the RemoteConnection packets on to your home computer, instead it just tosses them aside thinking they're junk.

You need to make sure your home router is forwarding port 3389 and that the firewall at work will allow port 3389 through it.

Most of the time if you initiate a connection outbound, ie: From work to home, the traffic will pass through the firewall fine, in some cases though, it may not.

Check your home router first and then maybe check with your IT admins.

As for ping, your home router also needs to accept ICMP traffic. Make sure that it will respond to requests from the Internet or from untrusted sources for ICMP then you should be able to ping it. NOTE: This can be dangerous and is not recommended as ping attacks or denial of service attacks can be launched if ICMP is allowed.

Good luck.

Sorry guys, I should have explained: my laptop is at home with me on my LAN. I am accessing the VPN through it and I want to access the laptop remotely via remote desktop because I can't stand typing on the little keyboard or looking at the 1024x768 built-in screen.

I just mentioned the VPN because I need to able able to access it as well as remote the system. I can't ping the laptop even when it's plugged into my router (although the laptop gets an IP from the router).

Does that make sense?