AMD Dualcore problem

Hi all, (warning bad english)

I have the comon problem for AMD dualcore users. In games the charakter accalerates and slowes down wied, extreamly enojing.

The thing though is that iam use Server 2003 as main OS, why? i realy can explain but whit my outher computer i did get the felling it was more stabile and loaded thing faster.

For XPSP2 users there is a simple hotfix for this problem. (google "Dualcore hotfix") and you find loads of information. But i cant find anything about 2003.

Anyone here whit some help?

Over and out.

Have you tried forcing the affinity to a single processor? I don't have 2k3 running on any SMP boxes but I would guess its pretty much the same way you do it in 2k/XP. (task manager after running program) You might even be able to use some of the same utilities that run on 2k/XP to do it for you on launch.

Back when my electric/AC bill was rolled into rent I ran some of those distributed clients and the crappier ones (like seti) made you run one per cpu.

Hi all, (warning bad english)
Det är lugnt, kolla min dålig svenska ;)

Har ni provat den "AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version" ännu?

Det finns en ny fil från mai 2006...

Också, som Aluminium sa, kolla om spelet funkar när ni har "processor affinity" i Task Manager på en processor - händer problemet då?

(I Task Manager höger-klicka process (inte application) namnet och man kan se "Affinity".)

Händer med alla spel? Har ni några exemplar?

-- end of poor Swedish, English version of the above --

Have you tested the "AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version" yet?

There is a new file from May 2006...

Also, as Aluminium said, check if the game works when you have "processor affinity" in Task Manager on one processor - does the problem happen then?

(In Task Manager, right-click the process (not application) name and you can see "Affinity".)

Does the problem happen with all games? Do you have any examples?

Mr Snrub, iam inpressed that is not bad swedish at all. Better then most of ppl i know.

No ihave not tested that file, but in 5min i will :)

But i will first test Alus option...

And Mr snrub the word "mai" is not comon in swedish you are serching for the word "Maj" but thats the only wrong i did find. :)

Ohh forgot to tell, iam a big Everquest 2 fan so thats the game iam playing. When i start the game everything is normal, but then in 10min upp to 40min it starts to act weird, like i did say, the charakter rusches and stops and super rusches.

I dont know if outher players se it like lagg ore something but i realy hate it, casting spells and stuff is like realy hard for me.

well, chipset uppdates didnt solve the problem, but now to the application option.

If on startupp how can i get the program to automatic only use 1processor. And LOL this is just crapy why cant a "simple" game function like it should. Now iam starting to cry over this problem, buying expensive computer components and now they not working like they should..

Maby my fault, using 2003, but the hotfix for XPSP2 maby just geting the game over to 1processor!

When i start the game everything is normal, but then in 10min upp to 40min it starts to act weird, like i did say, the charakter rusches and stops and super rusches.
This doesn't sound like the classic dual core problem, I would expect it to occur immediately, not after a period of playing the game...

How much RAM do you have?

Is Windows configured to give priority to applications or background services?

If on startupp how can i get the program to automatic only use 1processor.
Not sure it's possible to set the properties of a shortcut so it sets the affinity automatically on launching - does this mean that you tried setting the affinity to 1 CPU and the problem is now gone?

I'll be honest, I wouldn't recommend a Server platform for playing games anyway, the kernel model is the same as XP so stability should not be an issue and I would expect performance to be more likely to be worse than the Workstation OS for foreground applications.

Then there are the potential issues of apps/games refusing to install on Windows Server - and the fact that if you have paid for a Server OS and don't use it as such then this is a huge waste of money.

Applications that don't work well with dual-core don't immediately crash the system. I have a wireless driver that doesn't like my Opty 165, and once the driver starts up, it generates a weird sine wave-like pattern (but a bit flatter) in the Task Manager CPU Usage History graph that continues for a while until the system crashes like 5-40 minutes later. In Windows XP, I had this problem too, but one of the fixes (either the XP DC fix or the AMD driver) resolved the problem. Then I switched back to Windows 2000, and the problem started again. Since I couldn't install either fix this time around, I had no choice but to disable one of the cores, which you can do by changing the ACPI Multiprocessor driver to ACPI Uniprocessor in the Hardware control applet.

Edited by Aegis