Dvd not recognized in drive anymore

Wangerly

Hey.

Been running XPHome for a month now, with no glitches. Yesterday I placed a dvd movie in my PioneerDVD115, and nothing...when I right click on the drive, "please place disk in drive f:" pops up. Worked before, and the dvdrom still plays all other types of cds, just won't recognize a dvd movie or music dvd is in there. I have been using a few different software players eg. Power DVD, Cineplayer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

• 2 weeks later...

If no other types of CDs work it could possible be an ASPI problem, which is common in Windows XP, grab ASPI Xp from here :

http://xp.xyu.ca/winxp/aspi.zip

But as you mention that isnt your problem, I guess its possible for the drive to go faulty ... , perhaps try the latest firmware?

If you dont manage to fix it I will try and come up with some more ideas. :)

just a odd question but have you tried several other DVD? And is the drivers for the player from XP?

-XPerties

P.S. If it playes all other cd's its not the player. Its something to do with the software or the drivers. When a players goes bad its the entire player not just the feture of one item as susch DVD options.

Hi;

Yes, I have tried multiple dvd disks, none which is recognized by the drive. As far as drivers for the Pioneer DVD115, when I installed Windows XP, it installed the DVD drivers for it. I do not have a disk with the dvd drivers on it, guess none came with the system, and at Pioneer's site, they don't list any drivers for my dvdrom other than an older dos driver.

I'm thinking before I take it into the shop, perhaps I should reformat and reinstall WinXP to see if that works. Like I said though, it ran flawlessly for over a month, then it just stopped.

Thanks for the help:)

OK...

1st, of all the PC recognizes the DVD/CR-ROM? You yourself said that it can see/open/use regular CD's. So it's not the physical drive iteself.

2nd, were you trying to watch DVD movies with this drive? If so what DVD decoder software or hardware were you using?

3rd, by default WindowsXP will not play DVD's (either music or video) without a DVD (hardware or software) decoder. You need either or to properly use the DVD drive for this purpose. If you were using software decoders, were you using full retail DVD software or trial DVD software (there is a difference)? If they were full retail versions are they the latest versions? WindowsXP has issues with older DVD decoding software and needs the latest versions.

4th, did you verify that your DVD drive is XP compatible from the Hardware Compatible List? h**p:www.microsoft.comhcl

I hope this may help you on figuring out what the problem is.

Guest LouCypher

If you've recently installed the VIA Bus Master IDE driver under XP, you might have problems w/ DVD playback. I have a RealMagic Hollywood Plus and after installing the Bus Master driver I'd get a BSOD everytime I tried to play a DVD. Uninstalled the driver, problem went away.

Hi:

K, as I said above, it played all my dvds for a month, using PowerDVD4 XP version, and WinDVD, both being full programs, not trials. Even played them through Windows Media Player.

I checked the compatibility list, and my Pioneer DVD115 is not under the list of XP.............strange, as I said, it ran for over a month! Now I can understand it not playing a movie or concert, but what befuddles me is the fact that I can't access the dvd disk at all, no way to even see what's on it, just the msg " please insert disk in drive F".

The only drivers I have seen at Pioneer's web site, is dos drivers......and if I flash the dvdrom, I void my warrenty.

Anyways, much thanks for your help guys, I keep trying new suggestions:):)

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with a Pioneer DVD A03S drive, the one with the slot loading. When i put a DVD in, it clicks a bit, and ejects it. All other CD's of any type work absolutely fine tho.

Now here's where it gets weird...

I can still play double sided DVD's perfectly fine! no problems whatsoever! but when going into My Computer, it says that there's no disc in the drive, even when i'm watching it...

I did that on an old DVD drive that exhibited the same simptoms. Now it works. Also, have you tried buying a new drive. There dirt cheap. I picked up a DVD samsung 16X for around 30-35 bucks US.

Get a new drive.

My guess is your DVD is worn out, raggedy, crappy, or whatever. Time to get a new one.

big Booger

at first glance id say firmware, but as your product is still under warranty id make sure you read every TOC with any firmware update you download, as well as your conditions of warranty for the drive.

But as it has worked for a month as you say, then suddenly stops working, it suggests a few things to me: one is a very comon win2k / winXP "thing".

just to rule itout, have you installed, Nero, adaptec / Roxio Cd burning software or any other CD related software recently (or since u noticed the fault)

if its not that, its definatley NOT a dusty lens, dont go using a lens cleaner on a Pc Drive, very stupid idea, leave booger to that. Cd lens cleaners really smash your lens around, in a stereo this isnt much of a problem, they are usualy tougher things and only play music, a Pc drive usualy burns discs, reads DVD, CDrom, CDwr, etc, and usualy using a CD lens cleaner like that invalidates your warranty. (i have had one drive killed because of a know all friend and his Cd lens cleaner, lukily i claimed on my warranty, with 1 week to spare, i got a much beter drive in the end so i was lucky)

Lastly if its none of those things it could be that Win2k / XP "quirk" ive noticed, fail to defrag your pc for any length of time, or let the drive get fragged up and your Cd drive stops playing DVD / wont burn good discs / doesent recognise discs / shows discs but when you click explore the disc looks empty.. etc etc etc.

Ive had a few people ask me about this or complain about burning crap discs only to find they dont ever defrag thier pc, they maybe got away with it on 98, made the OS run even worse but hey...

im not sure if it applies to NTFS or if its OS based, but thats the quirk ive noticed anyhow.

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/13101.html

Look at that article. Try putting the CD/DVD in before you boot. Check those registry files that are listed on that thread.

Have you tried the Pioneer 116 driver? It might do the trick, as it is supported under all versions of windows.

Another question:

Have you used different region dvd's and possibly locked your drive to one region? If so have you tried the region reset?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/...57,1365,00.html

Other than that, I'd say send the drive back for replacement, as it sounds like it might be damaged. Very unusual issue. Did you install any programs during the right before it stopped working? Have you tried doing a SFC to the registry? Maybe it could be a registry problem? I dunno. I am stumped.

Sorry,

Big Booger