How do I get into this PC, BIOS and BOOT Password

BrainDrain

I've got an ancient PC to fix for a family freind >.< The problem is It won't boot from floppy, let me into the BIOS, or boot from CD drive. Is there any way to get a DOS prompt or such working?

Below's a URL image to a bigger version of the inside of the PC.

picture4ow.th.jpg

Something that looks like some sort of battery, I think it might be the CMOS one but I have no idea...

battery1ge.jpg

Edited by BrainDrain

Near the BIOS chip should be a jumper with 3 pins that reads CLEAR CMOS. put the jumper on the free pin and the middle pin and hold it like that for about 10 seconds. that will clear the cmos and upon reboot you'll be able to enter the bios. BEWARE!!! you MUST unplug the pc from the mains before doing that!!!

heh, that's almost an antique!

if you can't find the clear cmos jumper you could also try pulling that big green battery off of there for a few minutes (with the power cord unplugged)

I think on the older MOBO's the barrel battery was soldered to the mobo. I also don't remember seeing cmos jumpers on that old of a board. Some supposedly had them but I never saw any.

jd

Edited by 03GrandAmGT

meh, so pry the solder off with a pocket knife. or just muscle it outta there. i've seen both clear cmos jumpers AND non-soldered batteries on old mobos. it just depends on the manufacturer.

edit - just remembered what i used to do for soldered on batteries...just pry off ONE of the soldered contacts, leaving the other one attached.

Edited by Ophiel X

On a mobo that old, the battery (that green thingy) is indeed soldered onto the board and has probably by now FAILED. Once failed, it will leak acid out onto the board shorting out the board. Look for any discoloration of the board around the battery. Many of those old boards did indeed have cmos reset jumpers, somewhere close to the battery (usually).

I was working on one of those several years back and the shorted battery caught on Fire while I was working on it. Actually it was the shorted mobo that caught on fire.

If you decide to unsolder that battery and get a replacement,,,,,one will have to be custom made for you. No-one has those laying around any more. Some battery company like "Batteries Plus" can help you.

Be carefull unsoldering on a mobo....those are multi-layer boards and are easily damaged by hand soldering.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43