Need Mobo CPU & Video card Suggestions

TWILL

Hi Everyone

Its been a long while since Ive even looked at hardware so I asking for your suggestions since Im clueless on all the new hardware.

Im trying to help a friend build a computer for video recording and editing.

Basically he wants to record old video tapes and from DVR to harddrive for editing then burn to DVD.

Any suggestions for mobo, chipset, CPU and video card?

Like always it would be nice to keep the price reasonable.

thanks! :hello:

Hi Ripken204

No games, just video editing and normal applications, IE, word, etc. He wants a card with video input so he can record video to his HD.

He hasnt given me a limit yet, but he was considering buying a dell but I told him he could probably build a much better PC for the same price or lower.

I would make a guess of less than 800?

a card with video input...

well there is the ati all in wonders but the resolution isnt too good, he may want to consider getting a tv tuner.

does he know if he want to go intel or amd, im guessing intel since its main purpose it video editing.

If they are comfortable overclocking then recently on tomshardware was a review of the Pentium D 805 , That overclocks easily to around 4GHZ and can surpass even the FX-60 from AMD. That would be a truly excellent processor for video editing if you on a budget and dont mind tweaking a few settings.

hmmm ill tell u one thing i used 2 own a Dell Inspiron 5150, 3Ghz, nvidia 5200 blah blah, all i did was buy a usb video kit and da best laptop hdd money cud buy i did video editing, i used pinnacle studio 10 n dvd moviefactory they performed amazingly,

so the sum up of this story is its not all bout the the best hardware its how they are used

I say wait for Intel Core Duo 2 whatever the name is, codename Conroe processors. They will be cheaper than whole line of AMD chips, a lot faster (short pipelines & efficient branch predictor) than AMD and they'll consume ~65W. I reckon they're scheduled 2 moths from now? Find some good DDR2 memory (Corsair and OCZ released some low latency sticks, some are fatbody d-9 chips). And I hope that Oskar WU (hint hint: #1 motherboard designer in the world) will have his DFI motherboard ready by then for some crazy overclocking action.