MS Word page numbering

OzSpen

My university professor wants assignments presented online with the first page to be numbered being no. 3. The first two pages are to be unnumbered (Title Page & Contents Page).

I can do it with two documents: The first of 2 pages (Title & Contents) with no numbers; the second being the body of the assignment (numbered from p. 1). But when these have to be merged into one document with numbering starting on p. 3, I have not found how to do it with Word.

Using the Word numbering facility, I can begin numbers on p. 3 (starting with no. 1), but this automatically numbers pp. 1-2 as 1 & 2.

Is there a built-in facility that can cause numbering to begin at p. 1 and leave pp. 1-2 with no numbers?

I look forward to your creative suggestions.

Sincerely,

Spencer

Split the document in two sections. You can then specify "custom" options for each section. For example page numbering. Give it a try

Thank you so much for this suggestion, but can you be a whole lot more basic for me? When you suggest splitting the document into two sections, do you mean placing a page break between pp. 2 and 3 in my document?

I am not familiar with this customising facility. Are you able to walk me through (with steps) how to do it with page numbers? Do I delete all page numbers in the document to start?

After placing a page break in my document at the third page, I used File-->Properties-->Custom and named it "page numbering" with "value" 1. But this did not work. HELP!

Sincerely,

Spencer

Edited by OzSpen

Walking through is a little difficult right now as I don't have word on this pc and can't remember exactly. I'll do my best,

Ok, here it goes, hope it's correct.

First of all you need to split the doc: MS Word lets you insert different kind of breaks. What you want is a section break.

This breaks the document in two sections. So you need a section break after page 2. Page 3 will be the first page of section 2.

Now you can insert page numbering (or edit existing). For section 2 you should start with 1 and have it apply to section only (you may have to do some experimenting - can't remember exactly how to go about doing this step by step).

For section 1 simply no numbering / remove the page numbers in the footer. Again look that you apply it to this section only.

That's all I can do right now, hope it helps anyway.

Walking through is a little difficult right now as I don't have word on this pc and can't remember exactly. I'll do my best,

Ok, here it goes, hope it's correct.

First of all you need to split the doc: MS Word lets you insert different kind of breaks. What you want is a section break.

This breaks the document in two sections. So you need a section break after page 2. Page 3 will be the first page of section 2.

Now you can insert page numbering (or edit existing). For section 2 you should start with 1 and have it apply to section only (you may have to do some experimenting - can't remember exactly how to go about doing this step by step).

For section 1 simply no numbering / remove the page numbers in the footer. Again look that you apply it to this section only.

That's all I can do right now, hope it helps anyway.

Blub,

Thank you so much for that help with section breaks. I've used it and can renumber my second section from p. 1, but the first section also numbers from p. 1. My computer geek (programmer) son arrives today from Brisbane to attend a funeral (I live in Bundaberg, Qld., Australia), so he may be able to help me, although he's a Linux man.

If he is unable to help, I'll get back to you.

Sincerely,

Spencer