Anyone successfully installed Beta 2 on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

Mr Snrub

Is there anyone that has successfully installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium system using a regular SATA drive connected to the nVidia (not SI) SATA controller?

I am trying to install the x64 version and it picks up the drive no problem, copies and unpacks all of the files, goes through the installation of features & updates, then reboots to do the "completing installation" step.

At this point the machine locks up solidly - frozen screen, no mouse, no keyboard, no disk activity.

I think the problem may be related to the USB controller, as I tried going through the system recovery option while I happened to have a flash drive connected, and while the system was locked up there was constant slow flashing on the USB drive light.

Tried the x86 version also - same problem.

Currently trying to install to a second partition on my RAID set on the same system, see if it does the same...

Edit:

Updated above text after further testing, I guess it could be the SATA disk...

Edited by Mr Snrub

Nailed it.

It was the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller - when this device is enabled, the OS hangs after stuttering for a short while - when it's disabled it works like a charm.

To continue through the hung installation I selected Safe Mode on restarting.

As the OS installation reboots a further 2 times, I had to continue selecting Safe Mode until I got to log on as Administrator and get into Device Manager - from there I could disable the device and boot normally.

The A8N-SLI Premium mobo has 2 onboard NICs, when I booted in Safe Mode with Networking it hung as before (leading me to the conclusion it was one of the NICs) - with the nVidia NIC enabled it works just fine - the second I re-enable the Yukon NIC, Windows freezes.

Time to log a bug.

I have vista installed on a A8N-SLI Premium with the Yukon controller enabled just fine - both 32 and 64 bit.
Hmmm, interesting - do you actually have it in use, or just enabled & not connected?

If you use it, do you use the nVidia NIC at the same time?

Is IPv6 operational on the NIC?

Did you use the bundled Yukon drivers, or downloaded separate ones?

My client is multi-homed, when I boot into XP x64 I have the Yukon directly connected to the Internet - GigE connection, but uplinked router is LAN interface is 100Mbps and the WAN side is 24Mbps - jumbo frames are disabled on this NIC.

The nVidia is a GigE private LAN with jumbo frames enabled.