how to disable delete file in windows xp ?

dear friends

( sorry i can not write english well because my language is not english )

please help me .how to disable delete file in windows xp by registry ? for example remove "delete" from right click or disable delete key from keyboard .........

best regard.......... :thumbup

I'm not sure how you can achieve this throught the registry, I've googled for some answers but it seems it's always more easy to find solutions to unlock files rather than the other way around..

Can you be a bit more specific on your goal?

If you're trying to lock users from hurting your system I would recommend enabling the guest account under winXP - it will avoid people from deleting important system files.

If you really don't want them to touch anything at all - then I would recommend using windows server 2003 as your OS. It allows you to set up permissions for each folder you have on your disk (I guess this works also on XP, but 2003 is quite more safe on this matter and offers more options).

In NTFS you can set the security permissions and specify what people can and cannot do inside your computer - they can for example read some files, but only the admin or someone allowed can copy/move/delete these files..

Win2003 is a lot more configurable than XP, that's the reason why I recommend you to use if you wish to customize your system in order to prevent anyone (except yourself perhaps..) from deleting unauthorized files.

Well, since he says english is not his main language then maybe he is confusing registry keys with files? If so then in rgedit I usually right click on the file and chose delete. If it dosn't work it may have to do with permissions. Right click on a key and chose permissions and chane it so you have full control. Then you should be able to delete it.

of course I could be way off here.

Since one image speaks more than words.. In this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ilesharing.mspx

You'll find all the steps (along with good images) to set permissions on files and folders - remember this works both for your local users and network connections.

Don't forget you need to use distinct users - one with full acess to your computer (Administrator) and another(s) with the restriction you wish to implement (usually the group "Everyone")

I hope this helps..

:)

• 1 month later...