Unattended Apps Installation

Hello Folks,

I am a novice when it comes to unattended Windows XP installation. It took me forever to understand most of the things explained in the tutorial. Msfn forums are wonderful and I still believe it is the place to bare all & show how ignorant I am in the hope that you smart folks out there would be able to help me out. :) Almost every other day I come back to this site and read, try something, get frustrated and give up and do it all over again the following week. :) It took me almost few months to figure out how to convert a text file in to cmd file. So simple, but boy that was frustrating.

I reached the intermediate level where I would like to do unattended installation of my favourite applications. I tried to copy the codes that were posted in the forum threads but some of them didn't work because of different file structures of the apps like exe, msi etc?

Man, where would I begin?

For a start, I would like to know these things....

When I tried to do unattended installation using RunonceEX of applications like CDex, Firefox, WinRAR, MSN messenger etc, they would begin to install, but all on top of each other, as opposed to one after another. Plus, like a regular installtion, I had to click on various answer buttons on the applications ( like ' OK ', ' Next ', ' Done ' etc ). How can I go around this and make it completely unattended and get them to install one after another?

And how do I make unattended installation of apps like Nero 6 because with a regular installation you need to enter the product key or serial number?

These are the two main issues I have for now. I spent days looking through various threads in the forum but couldn't find a definite answer. If you folks knows the answer, or know where I can find the answer, any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried RunonceEX command creator but that didn't lead me anywhere. Thanks.

-- Bear

AFAIK start /wait does NOT work from runonceex.

this should get you headed in the right direction:

my RunOnceEx.cmd:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications..." /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D ".Net Framework 2.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Net20\install.exe /q" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Nero Ultra Edition 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Nero\Nero-7.2.0.3b_micro.exe /silent /noreboot" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "010 Hex Editor 2.0.2" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\010ed\010ed20.exe /silent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "WinRAR 3.51" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\WinRAR\wrar351.exe /s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0.300" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "msiexec /i %systemdrive%\Install\kaspersky\kav6.0.0.300en.msi TRANSFORMS=kav6.0.0.300en.mst /QN /NORESTART" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "UltraISO Premium Edition 8.0.0.1392" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\UltraISO\uiso8_pe.exe /VERYSILENT /SP" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /VE /D "Raxco Software PerfectDisk 7 build 46" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "msiexec /i %systemdrive%\Install\PD7\PerfectDisk.msi /passive" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.2" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\TBird\TBird.exe -ms" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Opera 8.54" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Opera\ow32enen854.exe /silent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "IsoBuster 1.9" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\IsoBuster\IsoBuster.exe /silent" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 2 /D "taskkill /f /im isobuster.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7.0.7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "msiexec /i %systemdrive%\Install\AR707\AR707.msi /passive" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "XnView 1.82.4 Standard Version" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\xnview\xnview.exe /verysilent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Slysoft AnyDVD 5.9.6.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\AnyDVD\SetupAnyDVD5961.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "Advanced Mp3 Converter 2.62" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\mp3\mp3.exe /silent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /VE /D "Windows XP Tweaks by Ophiel X" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\xp_tweaks.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\app.cmd" /f

EXIT

as you can see i have switches after the setup programs that tell them to run silently. you will have to figure out which switches work for your programs.

Edited by Ophiel X

Dear Ophiel X,

Thank you so much for the quick response! :) I am going to try the code you posted and see if I can use them with the apps I have. More fun and frustration. :(:lol::blink:

Would you happen to know how I can get around the sticky issue with apps like Nero 6 where I usually need to enter the product key or serial number during installation? The version I have is Nero 6.6.0.8 and its the full Enterprise edition. Thanks buddy!

--- Bear

put these switches after the nero installer:

/SILENT /NOREBOOT /SN=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx /WRITE_SN

and go download version 6.6.1.4 from the nero site ;)

Edited by Ophiel X