Visual Basic in PE

billyw

Hi,

I'm working on a project at work to build an unattended install for new pcs and also to rebuild pcs. We currently have a menu written in C++ that allows the user to select options for the build.

For various reasons we are looking to migrate the menu to Visual Basic. I have seen several users on here that have done it so I know it's possible.

I need to enable Visual Basic support in PE and I'm not sure where to begin. I searched through the forums on here but haven't found anything that seems helpful. I have found information about Visual Basic scripts but I want to make a single exe to use for this menu.

Thanks.

Billy

Hi,

I'm working on a project at work to build an unattended install for new pcs and also to rebuild pcs. We currently have a menu written in C++ that allows the user to select options for the build.

For various reasons we are looking to migrate the menu to Visual Basic. I have seen several users on here that have done it so I know it's possible.

I need to enable Visual Basic support in PE and I'm not sure where to begin. I searched through the forums on here but haven't found anything that seems helpful. I have found information about Visual Basic scripts but I want to make a single exe to use for this menu.

Thanks.

Billy

I've had good luck with just placing all of the run time files into the same directory as the Executable, there is a registry key i believe you have to add (but since i'm not at home i can't check)

Hopefully you are not coding your app in .net because the framework has not been able to be loaded in PE (and if you could it probably be unstable). Your app, if you want to use VB would have to be in VB6.

For VB6, you probably only need one file Msvbvm60.dll put in your system32 directory but depending on the application you may need all 6. Here is the download location... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290887 .

actually bartpe has support for .net, as well based on the work of another, it was really easy to work it into winpe...besides the 250 mb it adds to the image...it works good. do a search for .net and bartpe, again i take no credit for this.

• 3 weeks later...

VB works fin in PE. Very simple to install. (extract and copy the files)

Word of advice... If you have any plans on using this under 64 bit PE. Stay with C++.

The VB runtimes are 32 bit and 64 Bit PE does not have a 32 bit subsystem.

I had to have all my VB tools re-written in C++.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

With WINPE 1.6, there are no files to add...PE1.6 supports VB6 out the box...now if you call other stuff,for instance WMI or like scripting.filesystem, which rely on other controls like wscript, the you have to add that particular control...