[Help] Windows Xp Pro Sp2 install on sata drive

albie_3177

hi everyone i recently bought a WD1600JS-98MHB0 and i want to setup windows xp on it.

I have my sata/raid drivers on a floppy, and the hdd drirvers on another.

I can only load one or the other...

I am running a MSI KM4M-V with the VIA VT8237 Chipset. any help would be appreciated.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

easiest way without modifying your xp installation source is to copy your sata/raid drivers onto a floppy like you have, boot to the windowx xp setup,

when asked to press F6 to load third party drivers, press F6 (make sure your usb keyboard works), then it will prompt you to insert your floppy for drivers.

make sure on your floppy, there is a file called txtsetup.oem.

yes i have all this.

i goes as far as copying setup files to harddrive, and then says 'viamraid.sys' cannot be found... and 2 other files which i cbs naming.

i don't know why this is. I have tried skipping and contunining once i got'

missing file

/windows/system32/hal.dll

and the other time i got a BSOD ^o)

make sure the paths within the floppy are correct.

for example, on your SATA/RAID CD, if txtsetup.oem is in A:\ and viamraid.sys is in A:\WINXP, keep it that way on floppy.

Otherwise, that file will not be located by setup. I believe txtsetup.oem defines where all files are located.

You can pickup latest VIA sata drivers from VIA Hyperion package from www.viaarena.com. Unzip the file and copy the content of the folder called "drvdisk" to your floppy and try again.

ps: btw you don't need a hdd driver ...

yes thats excactly what i did. and it says cannot find the files when setup is copying files...

I will format the disk and try again.

could this have anything to do with the build of SP2 that i'm using?

albie_3177: check the message I posted here, that may help you.

Also, I noticed that if you have a SATA and an IDE HDD in place when installing, even if your installing to the SATA, my motherbard atleast ends up installing to the SATA as D: and the boot files go to C: (the IDE drive). The only workaround I have for this at the moment is to disconnect the IDE HDD's before I install so that the SATA is set to C:. (And yes, my BIOS is set to SCSI first, CD-ROM second and nothing for third and fourth boot devices, boot other is disabled.)

thanks for all your help, I solved the problem by using Bashrat's driver packs :D

one thing i'm worried about is the random errors i had during setup.

some files (i don't think important ones) couldn't be found and stuff. yea now IE is broken :(, should i post a new topic about that?

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for all your help, I solved the problem by using Bashrat's driver packs :D

one thing i'm worried about is the random errors i had during setup.

some files (i don't think important ones) couldn't be found and stuff. yea now IE is broken :(, should i post a new topic about that?

hi, i'm also having this kind of error, did your ever been able to fix it?