diskpart fails

hettybembler

I really hate to bug people but has anyone run against a problem with WinPE 2005 where diskpart with the message "The Disk Management Service Could Not Complete The Operation."

Specifically, I am using the following text file when I run diskpart:

Select disk 0

clean

Create partition primary

Active

Assign Letter C

When I run diskpart from the command line I get the same error. i have seen some discussion about similar problems but I am *not* running a RIS server or anything like it- just running winpe off of a cd to do a network unattended installation.

Has anyone gotten the diskpart hotfix from Microsoft that supposedly fixes this issue with RIS servers? Do you think it might help?

Thanks.

Try the below config:

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary noerr

assign letter=c noerr

active

exit

You will need the "=" when you assign the letter

Edited by campbrs

Have you verified that disk 0 is the first disk in the system. Sometimes new remote access cards can grab disk 0 (and this will not show up in diskpart) - so you end up having to grab disk 1 not disk 0.

Just a thought.

Which line generates the error?

Have you broken it out one by one?

Ok, from what i can gather it is just not working at all. I ran it up against each line and by itself and it just does not start up no matter what. Just a note- I have started the dmadmin service. I am also definitely working form disk 0. Actually I'm doing this with Virtual PC but on the pcs I've tested it on I get the same failure.

can you give use the output to these commands run manually:

diskpart

list disk

And one question: Is your WinPE image built with the PNP switch?

Edited by Jazkal

• 4 weeks later...

YOu don't have to assign letter C for the first drive. If you force a format it will do that for you automatically and in theory copy your files to the drive afterwards.

I really hate to bug people but has anyone run against a problem with WinPE 2005 where diskpart with the message "The Disk Management Service Could Not Complete The Operation."

Specifically, I am using the following text file when I run diskpart:

Select disk 0

clean

Create partition primary

Active

Assign Letter C

When I run diskpart from the command line I get the same error. i have seen some discussion about similar problems but I am *not* running a RIS server or anything like it- just running winpe off of a cd to do a network unattended installation.

Has anyone gotten the diskpart hotfix from Microsoft that supposedly fixes this issue with RIS servers? Do you think it might help?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hettybembler,

Select disk 0

clean

Create partition primary size=10240

Select Partition 1

Active

Format FS=NTFS Label=OSBOOT Quick

Create partition Primary

Select partition 2

Format FS=NTFS Label=Data Quick

This should create two partitions with C drive size set to 10GB

and the rest would be Drive D

You can store this in a file and pass it to disk part

Diskpart /s <File Name>

Hope this helps.

Warm regards

Gomat.G.B.

Edited by techquiet

• 3 weeks later...

We had trouble with diskpart too but not exactly the same. We failed to use diskpart to create non-MS partition type, i.e., passing id= s.th that is not fat nor ntfs. However, it finally worked by adding some wait. For example, call "sleep 5" in your bat file before you issuing the next command to diskpart.

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...