[Error] Driver is enabled but has not been started

HyperHacker

After my sound driver crashed for about the tenth time, preventing any sounds from playing except this annoying repeating garbage, I decided to check the website for updates. (I have an MSI K8T Neo-V mainboard with onboard Realtek AC'97 sound.) Hey, a new version, maybe that'll fix it. Ha!

After installing the new driver, I reboot and suddenly have no sound devices. :angry: The device manager shows a WDM sound device or some such, so I disable that and install the driver again. That hasn't shown up since and device manager doesn't show any problems, but even after installing it a third time it does nothing. I even (after creating a restore point) tried running the included setup program, despite knowing that it'd dump a bunch of junk on my system (a sound driver does NOT need to be 27MB, does NOT need to install programs that run on startup, and does NOT need to create shortcuts on my desktop, especially without asking. :realmad: ) I still have no sound devices! Argh! This is the only problem shown in the device manager:

why%20sound%20drivers%20suck.jpg

OK, so... WHY THE *beep* isn't the driver started? :realmad: How do I start it? Why was it set to not use audio features on this device by default? Why didn't I buy a Mac? (Oh, right, because I like my arm and leg.)

head_bang2.gif

[edit] And why doesn't the preview show me that my thread title is too long? >_>

Edited by HyperHacker

i have low quality integrated stuff like that break all the time.

you might just have to get a $20 soundblaster card.

try the driver off your motherboard cd, and also try the driver off of windows update.

The driver off Windows update, the driver from the motherboard CD, and the driver I had before are all the same thing. >_< Also, MIDIs and audio CDs don't play. (With MIDI the Play button doesn't do anything, and audio CDs give the same driver error.)

Edited by HyperHacker

uninstall the sound device (system properties), uninstall its drivers (add/remove programs), restart and reinstall the newest drivers manually (do NOT run setup.exe, point the system to look for drivers where your sound drivers are located). hope this helps. i had the same problem with one computer and that did the trick. good luck!

Well that got it to actually ask me where the driver was when it detected the device, and even say it was installed and ready to use afterward. That's all it did, though. Honestly I think these drivers just plain don't work, but I don't know what to do about it, especially when reverting to an old version (which didn't work very well either) didn't fix it. The thought of having to buy a separate sound card and use up another PCI slot just because of some stupid driver problem really annoys me, especially since I can't very well afford it. Usually at this point I'd be just taking the card out and putting it back in, but I can't exactly do that when it's built into the motherboard. :}

Possibly related, I noticed after installing the drivers that I have wdfmgr.exe running in the background which is apparently part of Windows Media Player 10? I find that odd, since the version that Windows came with was 8 and I just deleted it. I don't use WMP at all, and I don't remember seeing this process before. It's signed by MS though, and terminating it doesn't do any good.

[edit] Well I finally just gave up and did a system restore to 2 days ago. That's got things back to how they were, but that means I'm still using the old driver with that really annoying bug. (Every now and then it just starts playing garbage sound over and over until I reboot.) BTW, the version that I was using before (and again now) is 5.10.0.5760, dated 01/12/2004. I tried installing that one a few times though. :blink:

As long as we're discussing drivers, is there a way to disable and re-enable devices and/or unload and reload their drivers from the command line? My wireless card stops working after I hibernate, and I have to disable it and re-enable it again; it'd be nice if I could just do this from a batch script instead of going through all the device properties and such every time.

Edited by HyperHacker

it's a bummer your mobo cd doesn't have the older drivers.

i've never gotten the newest realtek drivers to work right for me. are you interested in trying my older one?

argh. scratch that offer, i can't find my **** mobo cd :(

Edited by Ophiel X