usb media & user access

Most information I can read about usb drives and group policy are aimed at blocking the usb ports to disallow the use of these devices.

My situation is a client has gone and bought 50 archos media players for their users. Now this group of 50 users only use a pod of 16 workstations, and are allowed basic user rights.

As usual, policy does not allow the installation of this without admin rights. Also, windows sees each device as a new piece of hardware, ie: if i have plugged one unit into a workstation, remove it, then plug another unit into the same machine, it goes through the installation process all over again. All these units are identical.

My problem is these units have all been distributed to the users, whose schedules rarely co-incide with mine. and without all the hardware units available, How can i install each one, or give rights for this group of users to install these units.

We have specifically not given these users admin rights, and do not intend to.

Any advice, ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers Gordo

Hi Gordo,

I don't know if this is going to help you because it was not specificaly designed to allow people the use of the installation process but maybe you can batch or vbscript it so that the users can click a script before they plug in and the driver gets loaded or something.

Sounds like a challenge :)

Anyway, there is the Microsoft Elevated Privileges Application Launcher wich can allow a higher set of priviledges to a user that it currently has. Read mor about it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...loads/epal.mspx

Hope it helps,