Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

mystek

Well MS has a new set of updates they deem critical for XP.

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

and

Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) (PreRelease)

the first two do not seem available (looked on MS and found no link) for inclusion with HFSLIP?

Also, looks like in addition, Update for XP (KB910437) is also included because of these. This one is available on the download site.

Anyone have any information on these?

hi mystek!

this is Microsoft's futher push against software piracy ...

i've seen how it works since i introduced a friend to HFSLIP & even guided him regularly on how to do it ... he was able to come up w/ a good install when suddenly he complained about some icon on his taskbar saying something like he might be a victim of counterfeiting ...

the "seemingly star-shaped" icon wouldn't go away & there was no way of taking it out ... further, upon restart there was portion on his lower right window stating it was not a genuine windows he was running ... he! he!

there was a discussion about it somewhere ... if i recall it correctly, even FDV commented on this ... as soon as i find it, i'll post it for you

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@mystek

To download KB892130, refer to Tomcat76's update list, or click here. To download KB905474 (FOR XP ONLY), click here.

Place KB892130 in HFCABS and KB905474 in HF (you may delete the serial number in the filename) to slipstream.

Edit: KB910437 is not new! It is listed on Tomcat's update list.

Edit #2: There is a new version of KB892130 (Windows Genuine Advantage, LegitCheckControl.dll) - 1.5.0530.0. The link I provided above (crossed out) is for 1.5.0526.0. Looking for updated link...

Edited by Super-Magician

Thanks very much, tomalak!
I found it using the following Google search: "legitcheckcontrol.cab site:microsoft.com" (to prevent all of the MSFN links to show up), but only to discover a few minutes later that it is the same link as fdv has on its pages. So all kudos to him!

Regards,

Tomalak

This isn't important, but I've always used that redirect link in my sticky threads above. I took it from a LegitCheckControl thread somewhere in a different section on the MSFN forums. The links on my standalone web pages on the other hand are direct download links which may become obsolete from time to time.

New WGA again - 1.5.0532.0

I tried the link Tomalak provided above (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204), however it still provided 1.5.0530.0. Does this mean MS has yet to update it or did the link change?

Sorry, but the reports I received about a new WGA seem to have turned out false. I revalidated Windows, but MS did not update my DLL file. Did anyone else get a new version?

Edited by Super-Magician