[Help] Strange multimedia behavior

Wicket20519

I recently did a clean install of Windows XP Pro on my computer and everything was working fine.

Yesterday, I did a Microsoft update and installed the latest patches. One of those patches I had apparently missed, so I installed that one, too.

Since the update, whenever I go to a site that has a movie file/flash file embedded in the page, I have to click the object once as if I'm selecting it, then I have to click it again in order to be able to use the controls.

I took a screen shot, and hopefully it'll make sense of what I'm trying to say. In the screen shot, I am watching the "10 Things I Hate About Commandments" trailer (heh) on College Humor. I positioned my mouse pointer over the movie as it began playing, and if you look closely there is a small checkered border around the entire movie. This is what happens everytime I go to play a video/flash file.

I tried using ImageShack to upload the screenshot, but I keep getting errors. Click here to see the image.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? If so, how do I fix it?

Note the workaround patch will be disabled with the June updates, so don't rely on that. It's only to give devs time to update their code to work properly with the patch, not to fix the symptoms.