[Question] Automatic Updates question

nitro322

Where does Windows keep track of which updates have not been installed, and which have been set to not notify the user?

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

Where does Windows keep track of which updates have not been installed, and which have been set to not notify the user?

%SYSTEMROOT%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

Thanks, Bezalel. That's what I was looking for. I did a search and found some other threads already covering this topic. Just didn't know what to search for previously. I'll check them for additional information.

T D and TheFlash428, I aprpeciate your responses as well. However, I was looking for where this information is kept because I want to slipstream some customizations on my installation CD. I was already familiar with both of your suggestions.

I want to slipstream some customizations on my installation CD. I was already familiar with both of your suggestions.

I was going to ask this same question. I want to prevent the WGA tray pop-up...no particular reason of course... ;)

JuMz, let me know if you have any luck with that. I'd like to prevent the Malware Removal Tool from installing/running. Simply clicking to not prompt me once would be easy enough, but the **** thing treats each monthly release as a separate update. So, I get prompted separately for each and every month, going back at least through November (which is when I started ignoring the prompts altogether).

Edited by nitro322

JuMz, let me know if you have any luck with that. I'd like to prevent the Malware Removal Tool from installing/running. Simply clicking to not prompt me once would be easy enough, but the **** thing treats each monthly release as a separate update. So, I get prompted separately for each and every month, going back at least through November (which is when I started ignoring the prompts altogether).

LOL I do the samething! When I have a chance to test it out, I will try it out and post back here!

Ok, I got this working for me, but before I explain what I did I want to be really clear about this: This seems to work for me. I cannot guarantee it'll work for anyone else. I don't think this can break anything, per say, but it could possibly corrupt your automatic updates database, which may prevent future updates from being recognized. I won't know if this is an issue or not until the June updates are released.

I got some ideas from this thread, but nothing discussed there seem to do exactly what I wanted. Still, it's a great thread for more information on this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=50194

Now, as part of my image build process I include two steps for patches. First, I slipstream what I can using nLite. I then add anything that can't be slipstreamed to a "System Updates" folder that I include in $oem$. I have an AutoIt script that runs through this folder and silently installs each patch during Windows installation (this also includes the most recent Malware Removal scanner). The net effect is that once Windows is installed, all applicable patches at the time of the image build have been applied.

With that said, here's what I did:

1) Build new image with up-to-date patches slipstreamed

2) Install image along with leftover patches

3) After initial login, force Automatic Updates to check for new updates: wuauclt /detectnow

4) The only thing that should be detected at this point are items that you don't want installed, for whatever reason. Clear out this list, set to not prompt you again, and close the window.

5) I'd recommend forcing another check at this point, just to be sure. Repeat if anything else is found.

6) Stop the Automatic Updates Service: net stop "Automatic Updates"

7) Copy %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb to your CD: $oem$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

That should do it. During your next installation, your preset datastore file automatically be copied and used by Automatic Update. As I said above, though, it's possible this method could lead to corruption of the AU database, but so far it seems to be working for me. I'll let you know if it's still working after June 13. ;)

If anyone else has better suggestions, feel free to post them. I'm always open for improvement. :D

Edited by nitro322