XP reading CD-Rs

ozone_pilot

Hope this post is in the correct forum. I'm in the process of backing up all 40 CDs of MP3s I've made in the past onto a hard disk. I had no problem copying 32 of them, but the last 8 were not recognized by XP. I received a "corrupted disk" error. These CDs will play however, in both my portable CD/MP3 player as well as in my DVD player. I've 2 DVD writers, and neither of them would let XP read the CD-Rs. I've tried reading the CDs on other computers, also with no luck. I booted to Linux on my machine, and voila, with the exception of about a dozen songs, the balance of the 8 CDs were readable/playable within Linux.

Is Linux more forgiving or what? Obviously XP on 3 different machines wouldn't read the CDs at all.

Weird!!

May have something to do about the type of session /format in which these CDs were written. If you are able to read them in linux, then copy the stuff from that option.

The format I used was Joliet as all my CDs have been, burning them with Nero on an XP machine. The CDs are almost 100% full, so I only used a *finalize* procedure for each one............when I realized that Linux could read these CDs, I immediately, copied them onto a *common* partition being FAT32, as I use NTFS on my XP partitions, which Linux cannot write to The hard disk I copied them to is also NTFS so, I had to go back to booting Windows to finally move my files.

The problem is I still don't understand why Linux read these *unreadable* CDs......could be that Linux has better CD drivers? I'm grasping at straws here. :)

isobuster is often possible to read cd/dvd that windows xp cant read

Windows cannot even access the drive because of the *so-called* corruption, so any software would not be able to access it, eg, MP3 player, etc., so I don't see how Isobuster could access a non-accessible drive.

When Windows reads a CD it must follow certain criteria. Other os's or programs may be able to bypass those windows' criteria and read the CD anyway. ISOBuster is a good example.

Taking care on how you burn your CD's will assure a more reliable READ later on.

I always shut down all running programs, especially AV and AS programs before I ever open Nero to burn a CD. I use a little utility called "End It All 2" that does this for me. I also burn all my CD's at 8 or 16x.....never the 40x plus that Nero says I can use, if I want to.

One simple rule to follow, is: "The slower the burn, the better the burn".

For the greatest compatibility with other readers, always burn SLOW.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

When Windows reads a CD it must follow certain criteria. Other os's or programs may be able to bypass those windows' criteria and read the CD anyway. ISOBuster is a good example.

Taking care on how you burn your CD's will assure a more reliable READ later on.

I always shut down all running programs, especially AV and AS programs before I ever open Nero to burn a CD. I use a little utility called "End It All 2" that does this for me. I also burn all my CD's at 8 or 16x.....never the 40x plus that Nero says I can use, if I want to.

One simple rule to follow, is: "The slower the burn, the better the burn".

For the greatest compatibility with other readers, always burn SLOW.

I'm anxious to see the results tonight with ISOBuster...............I do the same for the burning techinique, I always shut down everything, and I always burn usually at the slowest rate or a notch higher. I also would rather wait the extra time to be sure of a good burn. The CDs in particular I'm having trouble reading with, have been burnt the same as all my other CDs, and my choice of media is usually Verbatim, so it's bewildering on what happened......

i use a $40 oem sony drive, and have -never- burned at any speed slower than the max. haven't burned a bad disc once out of about 250 cds.

my last burner is a different story tho. i had to burn slow AND verify each disc byte-by-byte before i could be sure it was okay. (it was a panasonic drive, i haven't bought anything by them since)

i use a $40 oem sony drive, and have -never- burned at any speed slower than the max. haven't burned a bad disc once out of about 250 cds.

my last burner is a different story tho. i had to burn slow AND verify each disc byte-by-byte before i could be sure it was okay. (it was a panasonic drive, i haven't bought anything by them since)

I'd rather wait the extra time to do a good burn. It probably is more reliable in other machines as well. I now have BenQ 1650 & 1640 DVD writers, and I still don't max out on the speed, as I said before, all my media was all the same [Verbatim], and all the CDs were burned using the same speeds/formats.

I use cheap [Memorex] DVDs now on a spindle, and have come across a few duds already...........but that's another forum. :)

Well, I'm willing to give ISOBuster a shot, I'll give it a try when I get back home tonight.............

oops, I started a new post elsewhere in this forum re: my results on this....... :wacko: