Looking for a Language

Hi,

Currently trying to learn Visual C#, but there are times I need to run a stand-alone windows app that does not require .net or a bunch of runtime libraries.

I'm currently using SetupFactory for this (based on Lua), but its form creation is very simple and only alows one type of control per page (after all, its really an installer package, but its worked so far). Now I'm looking to do more...

Any suggestions welcome. If it has a visual IDE for creating form it would be a bonus (spoilt by VS 2005!).

Thanks

David

comiled

c++ with mfc (coplex, only microsoft)

c++ with wxwidgets (as easy as simple c++, cross compatible)

interpreted

perl with gtk

perl with wxwidgets

perl with tcl/tk

python with tcl/tk

python with wxwidgets

java

The list is endless. It all depends on what you want to do and the amount of time yu can dedicate to learnig it.

What i will say is if you are used to C# then C++ is a step backwards, and should be easy to learn, or java which is aln the same lines as C#. After all C# is microsofts version of Java, that extends C++.

but there are times I need to run a stand-alone windows app that does not require .net or a bunch of runtime libraries.

Java requires a runtime. And if I might inject a little opinion in the thread :puke: I can't stand Java apps.

my point was he has s many options it all depends on what he want to do.

Excluding java he can run any of the above. With the interpteted languages he must also distribute the interpreter. Therefore its better to use a compiled language.

In this case you have the choice of

C/C++

Pascal

Delphi

Cobol

Fortran

etc

@All

Thanks for the input. Will have to sit down at the weekend and look at each. But am sort of leaning toward Delphi. Found the 2005 Personal version on an old mag cover disk at home. It has the benifits of having a solid IDE, and I can also do C# in the same environment. But that means ditching Visual Studio 2005.

I remember the days teaching myself C on an Amiga 1000, and before that converting BASIC from the old Commodore PET to a 23 column display VIC20. Showing my age now.

Oh, well. Always more to learn.

Edited by djackson

The only thing I would caution you about with Delphi is to make sure that if you're going to be connecting to a database (Oracle, SQL, etc.), avoid using the Borland Database Engine. Where I work, they contracted with a company (against my vehement objections) that live and breathe by Borland development products. And that BDE is worst piece of technology to come out in the longest time.

On the other hand, a guy I work with whips out some pretty neat utilities using Borland's C++ Builder.

I need to run a stand-alone windows app that does not require .net or a bunch of runtime libraries.
MSVC pure Win32 API program will do what you want. Link against the kernel instead of the C runtime DLLs and don't link in the startup code, this will reduce the size and increase the portability of your program.

Good idea, but Pure API is really hard to get to grips with if you dont have a good programming background. If you know c, then you can always use the gtk+ library ported to windows. Much easier than Win32 API, have been there.

AS i said earlier, if you know c++ then you can use the wxwidgets library. this is really simple to use, like calling any other class, and is totally free and cross compatable. It has a good following, and there are a few free IDe's that support it.

i'm a crappy coder and i never had any trouble doing pure API.

i actually thought LLXX had the best suggestion here.

edit:

i just dug out my VS6 cd and grabbed the API reference off of it.

the declares are in VB style, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

here's the program with the needed .ocx, just load up one of the included text files with it:

http://rapidshare.de/files/21306520/WINAPI.rar.html

Edited by Ophiel X

I'll go for Borland Developer Studio 2006.

In this IDE you can develop in :

- Delphi (IMO the best langage for desktop / database dev.)

- Delphi .net

- C++

- C#

- VB

- ASP.Net

Your needs will be filled with Delphi (win32 part).

RogueSpear : Borland Database Engine was ideal for desktop /single user database application 10 years ago... I really don't understand why such developer companies are STILL using BDE... Beside that Delphi is A GREAT development language. FYI there is tons of third party components , free library , DB connection libraries... for delphi.